Viewing medical records?

Mummy2B21

Mum of Two
Reaction score
Has anyone ever requested to view there medical records? I want to view all mine from birth till about 15 years, is this possible? I'm 25 now, Would my records be printed for me or will someone simply show them to me ? Thank you

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68

There is an age limit depending on what you are requesting. I couldn't get copies as I was past the age cut off (it's 26 I think!) but, I could see my GP and discuss things, he showed me a print out of my NICU discharge.

If I can find the details again I'll post

All types of records for children and young people should be retained until the patient is 25 (or 26 if they are 17 when treatment ends) or 8 years after their death, if sooner.

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1889.aspx?CategoryID=68

Worth getting in touch with your GP ASAP if you want copies etc

You have to pay it will cost £50 if u want copies on paper thats what i had to pay

I think you can request electronic or paper copies at different costs. It's a bit cheeky of them charging £50 for somebody to just print a few pages of a person's own records.

I work in radiology and it's £15 to get any images you've had taken put on a disc so I imagine it'd be a fair bit more than that to request your entire medical history, even if it was a paperless copy.

I'm amazed it cost you £50! That's probably an admin fee.... x

You have every right to see ANY data kept on YOU anywhere (if it is still in existence), but you can be charged for accessing it. It's not as simple as someone "printing it off" services like that it cost money, it's very expensive putting in information management systems and you need a records manager to over see them, information has not been electronic forever, FOI has only been in place 14 years and some places are VERY slow on the uptake so can be very difficult to access information, it is a messy place out there for records management. There are retention schedules but tbh these are not often stuck to religiously...or can be a little over enthusiastically administered...

If everything had been properly stored, looked after and destroyed as it should have been, and if funds had actually been used to use qualified staff to do this, it should be as easy as someone just printing it off, I really hope one day it will be! But right now asking for all of your records can be like asking you to find all your grocery receipts for the last 5 years....it depends on the area as to how good they will be, and how much they will charge.

But you absolutely can ask, I have no idea where you start I haven't looked into it.

I got mine from the hospital, I didnt have to pay as it was within six weeks of my last care from them. I had all sorts of stuff from my birth (I was born at that hospital) through to my baby dying, sonography stuff, loads. It was really informative (an upsetting in my case too). They said if I had not had the care it would of cost a lot but that I could sit and read it and that not cost anything.

Corporate affairs is who I would of needed to contact (it was the head of midwifery who sorted it in my case) but PALS is a good place to start.

The costs are different everywhere, I think the maximum charge is £60 here, depends on the amount of paper used as well.

You can make an appointment to view them for free I think. At least you can with your maternity notes anyway

We were told it's 10p per page locally.

They have to follow the data protection act, which means all organisations have to give you access to data they hold on you x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->