vitamin B12

sounder

Reaction score
hi - just wondering if anyone knows whether taking vitamin B12 is good, neutral or bad when ttc?
i feel like i am taking so many vitamins already, so perhaps i don't need to take it at all?
i am currently taking a prenatal, 4 tabs of folic acid (had a previous pregnancy terminated due to a neural tube defect), vitamin C and vitamin D (i live in canada and need it to get through our winter!)
i have also taken evening primrose oil for the first two weeks of my cycle.
so many to take everyday....
any advice is welcome!!

Yes - B12 can also help prevent neural tube defects.
https://www.nih.gov/news/health/mar2009/nichd-02.htm

But might be good to get your blood levels tested to see where you B12 is at? If its lower than the normal range it might be worthwhile to get a b12 injection (which your doctor should offer if the b12 is too low) rather than taking it in pill form, as it is much better absorbed that way.

velo - thanks for posting that - so interesting, especially as no one has advised me to bump up my B12 even after having a baby with anencephaly in the past. also, as a vegetarian i absolutely should be taking B12.
my doctor did just do blood testing so i should have my numbers soon.
thanks again!

Yes I am a vegetarian too but not vegan - so I do eat some eggs and dairy, and my B12 tested in range, but on the low end of the range (192 pmol/L). I have googled and found studies where they suggest that B12 should be more than 221 pmol/L before pregnancy. So I am definitely going to ask my doctor about getting an injection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->