vitamin k?

Jodie.82

"Earth & Angel mama"
Reaction score
I dont know a lot about this, other than MW advised its routinely given here in Peru in hospitals to all babies, same as US I believe, but in UK its not given across the board.....in our case its mine and OH´s choice, what are peoples opinions on whether this is needed or whether we should only have it if baby shows any signs of bruising etc?

I can't remember the details, but I'm sure there was some concern over it being possibly liked to childhood cancer, though I can't tell you if that was ever substantiated or not. It usually is available in an oral form instead of the injected form and may be gentler on their system this way, but then has to be given over 2 or 3 doses of 2mg - one at birth, one a week later and another at 6 weeks if fully breastfed. (well that's an option in NZ) I know Sarah Buckley wrote about it, I'll see if I can find a link for you...

ETA - i've just read my hospital notes, with the bit in there about Vit K and it states the risk of Vit K deficiency bleeding in infants not given any at birth as 1 in 1,000. the risks are increased in mothers who are on some treatments for bleeding disorders, seizures and TB.

We were going to give it orally regardless of any bruising ect but since she was so bruised we decided to give the injection.

Not all bruising comes out straight away so id rather give it to be on the safe side.

do you have to apply to your surgery to get the vit k oral solution or just mention it to the midwives?

Midwife gave me the option when we where going through the birth plan. I opted for the injection..

Midwifes here tend to carry it with them at homebirths :)

we arent through any surgery or anything lol! MW will bring it with her anyway, just have to decide if I want baby to have it..maybe thats my reading subject for the day :)

do you have to apply to your surgery to get the vit k oral solution or just mention it to the midwives?

ooh just realised you said to get the oral solution, good point, I imagine she just has the jab, will ask her about oral option thanks

i had both my boys given the jab, there were more positives than negatives in my opinion to it

I think it's the same stuff, it can be given orally or as an injection.

I find the whole thing really odd, why Vitamin K? Why not any other supplement? Why, just because the levels are lower in a new born baby compared to an adult, are they therefore believed to be inadequate? Surely if they are at that level across the board in every new born baby, then nature intended them to be that way? After all, babies have a higher heart rate than adults do, we don't suddenly start giving them drugs to reduce their heart rate, so why do we assume a Vitamin K deficiency compared to adults?

https://www.aims.org.uk/Journal/Vol13No2/vitk.htm

this article raises some interesting points
ds1 had ABOHDN at birth which is interesting caus the main symptom was jaundice so the same thing that could have contributed to the jaundice ( the vit K) is what is usually given to stop an HDN occuring so in his case giving it turns out it could have contributed to his illness rather than making it less.

he recovered after treatment and i will be doing more reading on this before this baby is born

As Irish cob said the oral and IM (intramuscular)Vit k are the same thing. To have it oral they just don't put the vit k solution in the needle/syringe. :)

I've been looking into this issue and have found this:

https://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/vitktop.html

I found it interesting reading and have decided I will probably not have the Vit K unless there is bruising to my baby.

We're in the US and you can decline it at the hospital. We had a homebirth with ds2 and decline Vit. K. As well as all other medicines (Hep B and eye goop).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->