Vitex! Questions and I'm hoping for answers :)

msq

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

So I have been thinking about taking Vitex again, or fertilaid. I got pregnant with my daughter while on Vitex but then shortly after switched to progesterone suppositories, which I already had left over. I have a few questions, I'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light.

Have you taken Vitex or fertilaid? How was your experience? Did you conceive? How long did you take it for?

I'm asking these questions because I have heard very conflicting information, some people say you should quit taking Vitex as soon as you get pregnant. But I don't know if that would be the best way to go because I assume it could cause a drop in progesterone and potentially a miscarriage.

If I do decide to take Vitex again I'm considering taking it until I can get progesterone suppositories. Either that or I will only take it before ovulation because I'm terrified to stop and then miscarry.

Do you know if taking Vitex only before ovulation is even beneficial considering it is supposed to raise progesterone which is really only useful after implantation and during pregnancy?

Sorry this is so long, I just have so many questions about Vitex. Thank you for reading.

I'm interested in this too. Bump!

Hi!
I started vitex right when I got off bc pills after being on them for 20 years. It did a great job of getting me regular right away. I conceived dd on our 5th cycle and a couple of those cycles were kind of a long shot due to poor timing etc, so I feel the vitex definitely didn't hurt. I originally stopped when I got my bfp, but then started spotting and they couldn't find what it was. So I started the vitex again, taking 2 a day rather than 3, and then at 14-15 weeks I dropped to 1 and then stopped at 16 weeks. I still had lots of random bleeding throughout pregnancy, more so in my first trimester. Other than that the pregnancy went fine and afterwards they found that I had a cervical ectropian, so that is probably what caused my bleeding (and I still bleed all the time from it) So really i'm not sure if it was necessary to take the vitex during pregnancy, but I couldn't find any real information saying it was dangerous to do so. In fact it seemed better than stopping it cold turkey after 5.5 months of use.
I'm torn now on if I should take it again. I'd rather not take it if I don't need it, but then I keep thinking that maybe it is the reason I didn't have a miscarriage. I actually started it again a few days ago, but am all of a sudden feeling depressed and I started to remember that I felt this way last time I was taking it. So basically I feel the same as you and don't know whether I should continue or not! I think I may stop and see if I can do without it, but I know if I have a chemical pregnancy or a miscarriage I will wonder if vitex could have saved it.

It's so frustrating that something that seems so beneficial hasn't been studied more, I've tried doing a lot of research on Vitex and all I find is conflicting info. I don't feel like anything could have saved this chemical pregnancy I just had, at first I was thinking if I could just get my doctor to prescribe me progesterone suppositories everything would be fine. The soonest appointment I could get was January 6th and another doctor told me they wouldn't prescribe me any medication until they knew if it was a viable pregnancy.

Anyway, it is a really tough decision. I know Vitex works, I conceived and she was my first baby after having two miscarriages. I am just scared to keep taking Vitex after finding out I'm pregnant in case it does cause some sort of problem. I don't want to feel guilty about bringing on an issue with my baby that could have been prevented. I really don't know what to do, I've been wondering if Vitex can have beneficial effects if only taken before ovulation.

Thanks for your response, I wish we could find some solid answers.

I agree, everything is conflicting. The only thing I read about vitex being dangerous during pregnancy was that it could possibly cause miscarriage. I figured that I was bleeding and possibly having a miscarriage anyway, so why not try (although now I realize I don't think it was a miscarriage, but who knows) Sorry you have had to suffer through cp and previous miscarriages :( Do you think it is a sign of low progesterone? Do you have any symptoms of low progesterone? Would an over the counter cream work?

I have short cycles, between 21 and 23 days usually and before I got pregnant with my dd I had a 9 day luteal phase so I do think low progesterone could be an issue. I've thought about using an over the counter cream but I've heard that they aren't actually very effective at raising the progesterone levels. I have no idea what to do.

I'm sorry for your loss, hun. I'm having the same questions. I have just had 2 back to back chemicals. I ordered vitex and am trying to figure out if I should take it! When I should stop it etc.

Ive heard taking vitex plus 100-200mg of b6 can lengthen your luteal phase. If you know it's progesterone, can you get something from the dr? I've read that the yam creams don't do anything. I used the other type but I'm not even sure I needed it, so cant say if it really helped or not, but it didn't seem to hurt!

I'm not worried about short LP. I'm worried about something going wrong with implantation. I can't see the Dr. until I've had another loss. And I'm praying for no more loss. My MC have occurred 10-12 days after missing AF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->