Waiting to change medication

catswhiskas

Mummy to Oscar
Reaction score
Hi there, I am just married. My husband and I have been together for four years. We are really keen to start trying for a baby. However I have been on some medication for a while now for depression. I need to change this to a pregnancy safe anti-depressant before we can begin to try for a baby. This is so frustrating. Anyone else in this situation. I am also currently on the pill and would like to know how far in advance I should come off this?:kiss:

I got pregnant while taking citalopram, I guess its one of the safer anti-depressents to take while pregnant, dr's knew i was TTC and were fine with me taking it. I personally stopped while pregnant as I felt so much better ... there can be some complications (i.e baby having slight withdrawls symptoms from not having it once born) but benefits outweigh risks. Plus if you manage to breast feed baby will still get it anyway, it shouldnt actually do any harm to baby although nothing is 100% sure.

Lots of luck hun ... like most anti-depressents Cipaloram took almost a month to start working.

You should give yourself one cycle after coming off the pill but thats just so its easier to get an acturate Due date.

PM if you want to know anything ... lots of luck x

I would come off as soon as you can, especially if you're suffering from depression. You may find that coming off the pill will improve that considerably. Plus you'll have time to let your hormones adjust (and your mood with them) before pregnancy messes them up again. And if you chart your cycles you'll get a better feeling for your body and be prepared for ttc when the time comes. Good luck! :hugs:

Thanks guys, I am on Venlafaxine..... I am just so desperate to conceive now.

If your ready to TTC now then just go see your Dr, I had to see a few before i found one that was happy to support me TTC with Depression, there are lots of options out there, i havent heard of the drug your on, is it unsafe during pregnancy or are you just playing on the safe side?

Hey thanks for your reply! Well it says that there have been trials done and there seem to be no significant differences, however, there isn't really enough evidence to say that it is safe. We are going to see the GP on Monday. Will keep you posted with how I get on!

ok good luck, I think most will probably be the same, its unethical for them to test for that sort of thing now! The GP have an idea of what people take, at the end of the day we have an illness that needs to be treated with medication and that is no reason for us not to have a baby. Good luck x

Well that was a waste of time. I saw the biggest, most useless doctor ever. He told me that I either had to come off my medication or take the risk. He said that no anti depressants were safe with pregnancy. He wouldn't help me at all. He also said that he wasn't prepared to test my rubella immunity.He was completely useless. I have come out and cried like a baby. I have tried to book in with a different doctor on friday to see what they say. I feel uselss.

Hey hun, I know exactly what you are going through. I am in the same boat, on reboxetine, and on the pill which am hoping to stop at the end of this month. I went to my doctor about a month ago and to be honest was kinda disappointed with the advice she gave me. As you know when you are broody, you want it all to happen NOW. I told her about my misgivings about being on the antidepressant when TTC, and she kinda just said that I should try and be on it for at least 6 months before coming off it!! I started it in Dec so technically by June that will be my 6 months. Even considering her advice, I am still going to stop my pill at the end of April cos we really want a baby. I am not at all keen on staying on this medication if and when I get pregnanat- but the thing that most infuriated me was that she said,"well, its not like you are 35 and we have to get a move on with your fertility". I was really mad with that answer!! I am 28, and really want a baby- there is ubfortunately no studies to say what the effect on a baby my medication will have. I will just go with the flow and stop my pill in at the end of April, remember it is your body- if you really want to wean yourself off the pills, they have to listen and help. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->