Waking In The Night While Sleeping In Your Room

Rozie_1985

Mummy To Joel
Reaction score
Hi guys, silly question but just wondering what you do when bubs wakes in the middle of the night. Do you feed them and change them there and then in your room or do you take them into their nursery where all their changing bits and bobs are and so you can sit down in your nursing chair if you have one and do things in your own time.

The reason i ask is i don't want to disturb OH all the time as he will be working, and i don't want to clutter our room with changing gear as its a tight squeeze as it is? Anyone got any siggestions on what the best bet would be, i know this is a pretty silly question but i am a bit OCD and need to get the image in my head to be able to relax! :dohh:

I never really thought to be honest! I pictured feeding LO in our bedroom, we have a rocking chair in the room so I will use that. If we find it disturbes OH before he returns to work then I guess we will have to figure out a plan B for when he is working again.

As far as changing goes, I think I would take LO into their nursery, just so there are no lingering smells in the bedroom, especially if LO has an accident with the nappy off! Plus, they will get into the routine of a night time change in there too.

Thank You and good idea i forgot about the smells lol!

i fed DD in our room, on our bed. Only changed her nappy if it was very wet/pooey. Midwife tells you not to change at every feed in the night as it wakes them up too much. I have a lamp at side of bed which i will put on and just feed and put him back in moses basket. If/when i change his nappy i will just do it in the moses basket.

We are really lucky as we have an en-suit, so I am going to change LO there and then feed him in our room on the chair.

My DH is such a good sleeper that the bomb has to go off to wake him up.

Always changed amber in my room, i aint walking to another room in middle of the night.
Everything is all ready to be used in our room.

I will do the same as i did with my other 2 ..

I will only change her if she is really in need of it, as for feeding it will be done with the lights off and very little noise! This way they dont become too stimulated, as if they become too alert its a nightmare getting them back to sleep. It will all just be very calm and very quiet and then straight back into her moses with no fuss.

If she does need changing this will be done in my room again with lights off and very quietly! If i do need a light i will open my bedroom door to allow the light from the landing filter in.

Sorry i have rambled lol... but from experience with 2 so far this has always worked :)

I think there'll be times when I'll sleep on the futon in the baby's room when DH really needs sleep/has to be up early for work in the mornings but otherwise, I'm planning to get one of these to have in our bedroom. I think it'll serve for a few months at least with the newborn sleeper and then the rest of it will remain useful and usable for quite some time.

With my ds i changed him only if he poo'd or was really wet which was rare over night, Moving rooms & things wakes baby to much & then takes longer to settle them back to sleep. Everything will be in my room for minimum fuss & disturbance :)

I never really thought about moving them will waking them / stimulate them too much. Good point! Think I will just change LO in the bedroom regardless of smells, can't be any worse than the gas that OH creates during the night now! :rofl:

I never really thought about moving them will waking them / stimulate them too much. Good point! Think I will just change LO in the bedroom regardless of smells, can't be any worse than the gas that OH creates during the night now! :rofl:

own personal gas man eh ? :haha:

Babies are not a fan of being changed at best of times, but when its night time, quiet & you are sleep deprived trust me getting up having to put lamp/lights on & then moving into another room, change baby then back to your room is far to much. Some babies luckily sleep through alsorts & you might be able to get away with it, Best though is as little disturbance as possible.

For the smell i had a plug in at the opposite side of room to where baby was & it helped masked the smell, Tbh though i don't remember josh ever pooing much at night so it wasn't a huge problem.
Bottle fed poos are smellier than breastfed though, Josh was breastfed so it was a sweeter smell ..not exactly yummy but it wasn't awful though even at 3am lol

own personal gas man eh ? :haha:

Babies are not a fan of being changed at best of times, but when its night time, quiet & you are sleep deprived trust me getting up having to put lamp/lights on & then moving into another room, change baby then back to your room is far to much. Some babies luckily sleep through alsorts & you might be able to get away with it, Best though is as little disturbance as possible.

For the smell i had a plug in at the opposite side of room to where baby was & it helped masked the smell, Tbh though i don't remember josh ever pooing much at night so it wasn't a huge problem.
Bottle fed poos are smellier than breastfed though, Josh was breastfed so it was a sweeter smell ..not exactly yummy but it wasn't awful though even at 3am lol

Oh yes!! :lol:

Good idea, I have a socket near my side of the bed for a plug in and LO is going to be on OH's side! I am planning on breastfeeding too so hope that helps!! Thanks x

Np hun... just a thought why not swap sides then you ain't having to get up & walk round?
Babies 1st few nights you will constantly want to look at him/her . So why not either swap sleep sides or shove the bed up & put babies bed at your side ? xx

Hmm, true, in my original plan I was wanting OH to pass LO to me so that he kinds of get's involved with bonding with LO . . . but again I guess that is too much stimulation for LO during the night. We will have to swap sides as my side is next to the window and thought it would be a bad idea to have LO there.

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with him passing you baby hun, It just makes things easier for night time feeds that's all. You don't have to cut everything out :)

If he is working in the morning then maybe you have baby at your side during wk then when he has a day off put baby at his side , or express then he can feed those nights & you get some sleep that way he is getting his bonding in too & you get some much needed zzzz.

Its all about finding what works for you & your baby hun, What worked for me doesn't mean it will work for someone else. Just ideas that's all hun.

Ideally yes it would be better to swap sides away from window but as i said hun you don't have to do this, You can leave baby at oh's side & see how it goes 1st. :) xx

Thanks, its good to have the options to think about too if what we are trying is not working out :) x

I do it all right in the bed--kept my supplies right on my nightstand. Baby slept in cradle by the bed and eventually we co-slept. Dh has the amazing ability to even sleep through the baby screaming. He developed it really early on with #1--amazing. I'm glad one of us was super sensitive to the baby (I never put the baby in the middle of us). I was a little envious of the good sleep he was getting though. This made it impossible for him to help me at night.

Hrmm.. my husband will wake anyway, but I'm the one who'll have to go to work in the morning and its not like my husband can breastfeed. I'm sure we'll all manage though.

Everything that needs to be done will be done in our room, just walking over to the crib feels like your walking a mile when your sleep deprived :lol:

I have always had the babies in my room until they have been at least 6 months. So I feed and change them on my bed and then put them back in the crib/moses basket.

Even though my hubby works full time, he has always helped during the night. Luckilly they have all been good sleepers. I have always went back to work when they were around 4 months and I will be doing the same again, so for us it's important that we all get in a routine quickly.

Although you're sleepy it shouldn't take too long, as I always make sure that I place the baby back in the crib/moses basket before they fall back asleep or when they wake and realise they are not next to you they cry. This is part of the self soothing process - (something I wished I had known with my first, who was in my bed until he was 4, needless to say the other 2 were able to self sooth from a very early age!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->