Walked out before my glucose test

MeaganMackenz

Reaction score
So, I realize how this will sound...

I went to my local walk in clinic with lab to go for my glucose test and walked out before I was tested.
She told me I couldn't leave after the test, so I left before. In all honesty my back and hips can't handle an hour in the waiting room chairs. My back hurts almost no matter what but if I can't move my position, lye down, put my feet up or something it's agony.
I'm sure this sounds like excuses excuses but after all the aching I've been having the last week or two in the most comfortable situations like at home on the couch or in bed no part of me wants to sit in a waiting room chair.
I've even told hubby we can't go to anymore movies after I attempted fifty shades last weekend and spent the whole time hurting. Those chairs are heavily padded and recline for Pete's sake! (we go to movies a lot, it's our thing <3)

Anyone else forgo this test? After reading up a bit I'm on the fence about trying to suck it up another time. Yes I'm considered obese and there is diabetes on my dad's side somewhere (most of his side has passed and who is left does not have it, nor do they live here or converse with us to ask where the diabetes are and my dad has dementia so there's not much pin pointing available.) but that's it. No big babies no advanced age no previous history with it.

I'm struggling with the whole better safe then sorry thing :/ which I realize will be the consensus, but I know there's gals out there who do no testing so I can't be the only one opting out of at least 1 test.

Really tricky. I had a glucose test last pregnancy because I was drinking loads and weeing loads. I had it at my local dr and the nurse let me go home in between. She said I had to walk very very slowly to the car then literally lie on the sofa. Not do so much as hang a sock on a radiator. Maybe you could tell your dr or whoever you'll only do it if you can do that?? I think it's much better to know though because the baby is the most important bit and of you need extra support/treatment it's more important than a few hours pain sadly.

Having said that, I'm on the borderline of being overweight and I didn't have the test with my first pregnancy or this one. Wasn't offered it. But as I say I'm only on the border of being overweight and there's no diabetes in my family.

I'm sorry you are feeling so miserable right now.. :(

I think you should go back and do the test, especially since you stated that you do indeed have risk factors. I had my test on the day of one of my regular appointments so I went in, had the drink, had my appointment and by the time the appointment was over I only had to wait 10 minutes before my hour was up.

I do think it's better to have the test as GD can cause a risk for the baby if it's untreated. I hated mine, I had the two hour one, but I was allowed to go home between as I only live a two minute drive from the clinic which made it better. When I went back for the second blood draw I took sandwiches and a chocolate bar with me so I could eat straight away! I am thin framed and my only risk is type 2 diabetes in my dad. My test came back fine which made me feel OK about eating what I fancy for the rest of the pregnancy without worrying! x

Hey Megan, I felt cr*p towards the end of my 2 hour test - couldn't get comfotable and my back was achy so I can relate!
I did find this in an article online - could you talk to your Dr/midwife about an alternative?

"Consider an excellent diet and random glucose testing. This just requires finger stick blood testing which can even be done by you at home, and is a commonly used alternative for women who can’t tolerate the Glucola. However, one test result alone is not enough to diagnose or rule out GDM, so you’ll want to work with your doctor or midwife to come up with a reasonable schedule for testing and assessing your results."

I had no family history of gestational diabetes or any risk factors, and I still got it. It's important to do the test not only because baby can get big, but because GD causes the placenta to begin to fail at the end of pregnancy, and baby has to be monitored a lot. My doctor stressed that it unfortunately does increase the risk of stillbirth quite a bit. My son is fine, but I have no idea what would have happened had I not been medicated and being very strict about my diet. I would make sure you get the test done, however you have to do it. As a previous poster said, I would talk to your doctor and demand to be able to leave in between draws. It's definitely a very important test.

Is there no way you can have the test at home? I'm having mine at home next week. x

I would say get the test done. It is uncomfortable, but you're going to be a heck of a lot more uncomfortable if your sugars start spiking and you get really sick and don't know why. I have GD, never had it last time. It has been an experience, that is putting it lightly. You could end up with amniotic fluid problems, macrosomia, baby glucose issues after birth. There are lots of tests you can forego, I wouldn't forego that particular one.

I see you are in Canada also. Is there a way to arrange it so that a public health nurse can do the test with you at home? I was free to leave after I drank the glucose drink and they gave me a time to be back.

I am on gd round 3....zero risk factors. I've only done 1 gtt in pregnancy though.... I just monitored my own blood sugar with #2 and #3 until it went wonky and then I referred myself in to the gd team.

If you really can't sit in the room ask your doc for a weeks worth of testing strips. I'm doing it this was this time as the gtt really upsets my IBS. Don't forego the test though, it's not worth it

If you really don't want to sit in those chairs for an hour you could just start monitoring your blood sugar yourself. Of course you'll have to prick your finger a few times a day for readings.

Thanks for all the replies ladies I really mean that.

- the drink before your ob apt thing worked with my first two pregnancies but there are differences this time. Firstly, the lab at my Dr is gigantic and you end up waiting an hour for them to call your number to get tested, nevermind the actual test. Secondly, I'm usually in a time crunch because my apts are always before I have to get DD to school. That's why I choose a closer clinic to test so I could go at my own convenience and they're much less busy. IF the lab wasn't a minimum 2 hour thing between waiting for the test and during, I could probably make it work for my next next apt. I will ask if there's a way to jump the line to get the drink, but if they need blood before and after I don't think I'll be able to. Never the less I'll ask.

I'll speak to my Dr about it, if she still highly recommends I take it after I explain what a baby I am, maybe I'll take my heating pad and pillow with me. I just didn't honestly think they'd be so bitchy about me leaving.. Like this is baby number 3 I'm pretty sure I know how the drink goes lol but I guess that whole ya never know garbage is easy to fall back on

I agree with the others, it's really important you get tested. I'm on my 4th pregnancy with gd, have no risk factors (except for the prior gd now) and have no real noticeable symptoms most of the time. This last pregnancy I tested at home with my own monitor as I couldn't handle the drink.
Whenever I went in for the test I had to have a bed/stretcher available or I'd end up curled up in a ball on the floor... can you ask to lie down while you're waiting?

Ps my last pregnancy at least WOULD have ended up in stillbirth if not for extra monitoring due to the gd, and Dr's knowing she had to come out early. That's why I emphasise the importance of testing...

The only indicators I had for it are 1 grandparent on each side had very late (60s) onset type 2 diabetes. I am healthy weight, eat healthy and exercise a lot and still tested positive. I am diet controlled, so I am not as bad as some others, but there are more risks than just big babies with GD. If you want to go on a GD diet instead of testing, that could work, but the GD diet sucks!

I understand the importance of testing, despite it not seeming like it. I have obstetric cholestasis last pregnancy, which could have ended badly.
I'm just at a loss for how to do it this time that allows me to be even remotely comfortably and doesn't end up taking twice as long then it should.

I understand the importance of testing, despite it not seeming like it. I have obstetric cholestasis last pregnancy, which could have ended badly.
I'm just at a loss for how to do it this time that allows me to be even remotely comfortably and doesn't end up taking twice as long then it should.

Ask your doc to prescribe diabetes testing strips so you can watch your levels over a week.

You've had some good suggestions here... maybe you should talk to your Dr to see what he/she can offer you as an alternative to the way it's done.

I had absolutely no way I could do the three hour test with no one to watch my toddler. Dr just had me monitor my levels for a week (I did have gd first pregnancy which was diet controlled). My numbers were good so I don't have to monitor regularly but I do once or twice a week just to make sure nothings out of whack. Talk to your Dr./midwife. I'm sure you can figure something out.

I would suggest asking the doctor if you can have a drink to take home with you to drink before you arrive at the office. My doctor does that, and it really makes the whole thing much easier. I do think it's very important that you do get tested. Better safe then to put you and your baby at potential risk. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->