Walking to school

Minties these distance are more confusing by the minute LOL.
The bonkersness of the UK is since the 70's kids have been taught in metric cm, m, km. However roads are still measured in miles but I bet I ain't the only person who turns to Google to find out how many yards in a mile.
2.5km and Google both tell me it's about a mile and half. So a decent walk for a 5 year old but I think it wouldn't take long for him to build the stamina to walk it twice a day esp as he already walks a fair bit.
The law in Scotland is children under 8 should be provided with transport if the walk is more than 2 miles (kids over 8 it's 3 miles). So you are well within walking distance if you were here.

Half a mile wont take long at all. My 2 yr old walks it in about 15-20mins.

I'd take the scooter along for him, in case he needs it. I think the scooter would be more likely to stay at the same pace with you than the bike.

Ops lol Jade walks 1.5miles in about 1hr 15mins. My older ones could be much faster. The 3mile walk would take about an hour at ages 4 and 6 :D

I would encourage the use of a scooter or bike.
Esther has very limited awareness of the dangers of roads but will still stop rather than just walk into the road.
It's good for children to get used to scooting it cycling. With my son i've always allowed him to go in ahead a little bit, the rules being he gas to stop at roads and he can't go round corners. He's been really good at doing this since he was 4.
I'm much more concerned about the use of bikes etc with Esther because of her lack of awareness. She's fine on flat pavements but give her a slope and she doesn't slow herself down!!!

Could you bike with him, and either put a child seat on yours for your youngest, or attach one of those things you tow behind your bike for young kids to ride in? Then you wouldn't have to worry about him getting too far ahead because you'd be riding along with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->