Walking

clairec81

Reaction score
Don't worry this is not a 'when did you LO start walking' or 'My LO still isn't walking at...' Just curious to know what other babies are doing walking wise. Having had a 'full termer' and no premmies in the family or friends i just wondered if its a case of every baby different or is there a slight pattern. Erin is just over 13 months and is fab at walking holding fingers, really goes for it, but isn't a crawler, in fact doesn't seem to have the strength to pull herself into the position, or up on furniture. Her love in life is to walk, walk, walk holding fingers and gets v frustrated when sitting away from? Just wondered if this was familiar to anyone or her own wee thing?
P.S. may be due to her being teeny? - 14 1/2 lbs.

My lo loves being walked around and would do it all day if mum & dads backs could take it lol! She does crawl but still doesn't make any difference it just means she now follows us and starts pulling at our legs until we walk with her :rofl:

Some babies dont crawl and find other ways getting about like rolling, bum shuffling etc. I never crawled as a baby.

3 weeks ago my lo weighed 13lb 14oz and is currently putting on about 1oz a week so think she is going to be a titch for a while yet!

Very familiar. However, I wouldn't even try to compare Abby and Erin as you know Abby has her problems.

Sooooo many babies skip the crawling stage so I wouldn't worry at all. Practice with the pulling up, start with her sitting on your knee, or ask her to pull up from sitting to standing using your fingers.

I've got a great sheet of exercises from the physio which might help, if you're interested.

Very familiar. However, I wouldn't even try to compare Abby and Erin as you know Abby has her problems.

Sooooo many babies skip the crawling stage so I wouldn't worry at all. Practice with the pulling up, start with her sitting on your knee, or ask her to pull up from sitting to standing using your fingers.

I've got a great sheet of exercises from the physio which might help, if you're interested.

Thanks Foo, that'd be great! Not in a panic at all, after all the trouble we had to get her here i'm happy for her to be baby a bit longer. Hope Abby is doing well and the physio is helping, she looks fab in her pics!

Alex walks if we hold her hands, and will walk along walls and anything she can hold onto.

She crawls, however, not how you would think - she commando crawls everywhere still, its like shes swimming across the carpet, but shes soo speedy at it I think she chooses to do this over proper crawling on hands and knees. I've caught her 'proper' crawling small distances but she gives up :shrug:

Everyone laughs at her crawl, its just her way of getting around.

Shes about 21lb at 19 months actual

Really think it is different for each baby. Ben took his first steps at 12 months (actual) but I wouldn't say he walked properly until 14 months actual. Joshua took his first steps a couple of weeks later but wasn't walking confidently until about 15 months actual. Both were crawlers and crawled at about 9 months actual.

My friends twin girls were 10 weeks prem and neither of them crawled or moved in anyway unless they were walking holding onto someones fingers! They both walked at about 18 months actual. My friend still says though that they have no inclination to climb on the furniture or up the stairs, whereas my two have been doing that since they could crawl! So it really does seem to vary amongst premmies as much as it does amongst term babies x

Lakai didn't walk till he was 17 months corrected and I didn't walk till I was 17 months either and I was not a preemie. My husband didn't say one word till he was 2 years old, and Lakai wasn't much of a talker until later either! My point is...prematurity isn't always to "blame" (not that anyone was blaming that..he he).

Lakai was a GREAT fast crawler, I mean he flew! He cruised like a pro from like 9 months corrected and on, he never walked behind push toys very much. And because of the center balance thing, we never finger walked with him (our OT's all said that finger walking causes the wrong center of balance for kids and actually can delay walking if it's done too much (key being too much!)). One day he just walked.

Yes I was freaked out...I was nervous and worrying...but then I just figured he has reached all his milestones on time, why would this one be different? Sure enough he got there!

Now? I wish he would slow the heck down.

She will get there! Size shouldn't matter very much, compared to over all muscle tone. Core muscles are very important and loose leg muscles. Does she do tummy time still? If not I would push for it. Also doing bicycle legs with her at diaper times will loosen up her legs if they are even slightly stiff, plus they love it!

Andrew is 18m/15m and is doing a raised crawl (as opposed to commando), standing holding onto things, and has started to remove his hands to try and stand on his own, generally managing to lower himself to a squat and then sitting. When we hold his hands he can shuffle forwards a bit, but he's not actively raising his legs to walk yet. He absolutely loves climbing the stairs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->