• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Want to breastfeed my next...any advice?

Unexpected212

Reaction score
Hello!!

I'm currently TTC my second child.

I hold a lot of guilt over bottle feeding my first. I had a really bad 38 hour labour that was quite traumatic and could have lost my son as cord around his neck etc...after the birth I was really traumatised and literally spent the first 2 weeks in bed in shock that I had a baby and I had really bad baby blues.

In the hospital I tried to breast feed but none of the nurses had any time to show me how. One just shoved my boob in my sons mouth and it REALLY hurt, so much so I just gave him a bottle as I was panicking about the fact he'd had nothing to eat as no one could show me what I was doing.

This time I'm determined to breast feed...but I feel guilty that if I succeed I didn't with my first....has anyone else here bottle fed one and breast fed another? Did it work out?

Any advice to keep my attitude positive about trying it? Last time it hurt so bad and TMI but I have quite inverted nipples so it was a bit tricky.

I combi fed my first for 5 months and hated every minute of it! Like you I had a long traumatic labour followed by depression and shock. Second time around I was determined to do better, but tried not to put too much pressure on myself. Set yourself small goals like one feed, then one day, two days, a week etc. I did give in to formula when times were tough, but LO has been mostly BF.
Don't feel guilty about not BF your first, you did your best. I wish I had given up sooner with my first as it was making my depression worse. Bottle feeding is sometimes the best option for the situation.
Kellymom is a great website packed with information on breastfeeding, so you could do some research before having your baby. La leche league is great too, they might have a leader near you who could advise you on how to work with inverted nipples, and offer support after the birth. If BF is what you really want you can do it!

I just wanted to say that my friend has inverted nipples and was able to establish breastfeeding by first pumping a couple minutes to get her nipples out so her baby could latch easier. She no longer has to do this, but she thinks it made all the difference for her initially. Just a thought :). Good luck!

I would find a BF support group and go to some meetings during last month of pregnancy.....La Leche if one is near by. Get to know the leaders so if you do run into trouble you know who to call. A lot of them will go to your house if required during first few days. I would also buy Dr Jack Newmans visual guide to breastfeeding.
https://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/product.php?prodID=18

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"