Want to do blw but a bit scared

LoveCakes

Reaction score
I like the idea of blw but I'm getting resistance from family. Thing is that makes me more stubborn to try but now I'm a bit scared of the whole choking thing and can't admit it...

BLW is the best thing we have ever done. I have to admit though that it does require a lot of patients and calmness.

DD has never had a choking incedent but did gag a few times when we first started. Rather than panicing I reassured her that every thing was okay and to take her time. I didn't want her to see me getting flustered and uptight as it may have alarmed her. You do relax a bit more after a while though I promise :)

It's all about them taking the lead and guiding them, as long as you give soft foods and cut into non-choking sizes you'll be okay.

We started weaning at 6mo and she is now 10mo and loves food. Everyone praises how well she eats at such a young age.

People will express their views but stick to your guns if BLW is what you want to do. My mum tried to spoon feed DD till I told her not to. She quickly came round to the idea once she saw how well she can do it.

You can only try it and if it's not for you then leave it a few weeks and try again. X

I was the same. Check what to do with red cross for choking. We doing nearly two months. No choking little gagging and lots of crying wanting more fruit lol get a blw book by Gill Radley. Think that her second name. My lo fine motor skills unreal. Can feed herself with spoon. Drinks out of bottle. Beyond hwr months

Thanks! I'm still researching but does that mean she can't have baby rice etc until she can use a spoon?

I'm first aid trained and have done the paediatric course through work but will defibately brush up. Have you noticed the Red Cross ads this week on how to deal with a choking baby?

Bubblz I am from ni too :)

Are you on Facebook? Go to babyled weaning Ireland. Great for advice support. My lo started at 24weeks when she was ready. No need for baby food at all. I gave her food from my plate. Second day she had my porridge. I put it on a spoon and she gotit in her mouth on day two ... was messy lol she a brillant eater. Loves fruit

Don't be scared. BLW is amazing! My daughter is 2 next month and she's had nothing but real foods since 6 months. She's never once choked! The only thing she chokes on is bath tub water which she for some reason loves to drink out of cups in the bath. We get so many compliments about how well she eats and how adventurous she is with food. It's been a wonderful experience and I'm so glad we did BLW. The reality is that they'll have to eat finger foods eventually, whether it's at 6 months or 8 months (which is the recommended time to start them anyway even if you do purees). They can't live on pureed food forever, so you'll have to go through the transition at some point, whether it's now or in a couple months. It's not easier or any less risk of choking if you wait (in fact, I would venture to guess it's more risk because babies have to re-learn how to eat, which is harder than just eating finger foods from the start).

As for the baby rice, yes, if you go down the BLW route, she shouldn't be spoonfed baby rice. There's really no reason to feed baby rice anyway as it really has no nutritional value. You can go straight to normal porridge or make porridge balls or fingers. If you really want to use baby rice, you can still make it up and give it to her in a bowl to feed herself. She can stick her hands in, scoop it into her mouth, lick her fingers, etc. This is a great way to offer yogurt as well and obviously works with normal porridge. From about 9 months, my daughter was able to hold a spoon that I loaded up for her. I started to give her porridge (just the regular kind) from then. I'd put it on the spoon and hand it to her and she'd feed herself. She was eating on her own with a spoon from around 13 months or so?

I like the idea of blw but I'm getting resistance from family. Thing is that makes me more stubborn to try but now I'm a bit scared of the whole choking thing and can't admit it...

Hi Lovecakes!

I know it's scary, no doubt! I'm still scared and he's 17 months. But honestly, it's the best decision we every made. But do what you feel is right! If you have any questions feel free to pm me ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->