want to do nursery, terrible at decorating.

skookie

Reaction score
i'm 23 weeks and a few people have asked me about the baby's nursery. i am not a decorator. you would be able to see that right away if you walk into my house. there isn't really much on the walls or anything else like that. i just don't really know what looks good! i am really interested in doing a nice room for the baby, something special, but every time i look up nursery ideas on pinterest or anywhere it seems so overwhelming. also, most nursery ideas are centered around the crib where there is a fancy bed spread, crib bumpers, etc. (all things you aren't even supposed to use for an actual baby because they're dangerous). or the walls and everything look crazy with stripes or decals or a bunch of things nailed to the walls etc. i mean at some point in the future we want to sell our house again so we can't go too crazy. is anyone decorating deficient and figured out how to get some good ideas somehow that aren't too complicated but still cute?? right now the nursery is filled up with a bunch of extra junk in our house and litter boxes (which are going to be moved to another location when the baby comes).

Depends how simple you want to go, we were selling while ds was little so his room was cream with Fisher price rainforest wall stickers all over, they were so bright and lovely! Plus really easy to remove when selling.

In new house for at least ten years now so new baby room is light grey with a large blue stripe all the way around about a foot from the ceiling. Then I've found some gorgeous sheep jumping a fence wall stickers with clouds etc.

Also you can do whatever you want and a few weeks before going in the market to sell just paint the room cream, easy.

Or you could wallpaper one wall and paint the rest, always gives a bit of focus to the room. Just start with a colour you like, then look it up and see what colours go with it.

We painted all the walls bar one pale grey, with the other pink. I used wallpaper samples and cheap ikea frames to make name frames which I put on an ikea picture rail (one letter in each frame, cut out of wallpaper samples and stuck onto different paper and put in a frame then hung on rails) - it looks great and cost about £30 all in and covers the length of the wall. I also made paper Pom poms in pink and grey to hang from the ceiling. Her cot is just plain white fitted sheets over a waterproof mattress with a cellular blanket inside for over her sleeping bag. We also have a changing table with a matching mat and then her wardrobe matches too. On the other wall we have a four pegged hanger to hang her towel and next day's outfit on. We reupholstered her glider to match. She actually has two rooms which are joined by an arch, we put pink curtains up on both the Windows (plain pink against grey walls) but the second part is mainly for play things so not in use just now obviously.

sounds super cute ladies! i need to peruse pinterest a bit more. it's a good tip that a lot of the decor can be easily removed or painted over.

I painted a neutral beige colour and I plan to make it bold by making curtains and using pictures/frames/canvas to make it unique for our baby. We "plan" to have another soon after this one and I would hate to paint blue to just have to paint again if the next one is a girl. Our kids will be sharing a bedroom either until we move or build an addition onto our existing house.

We're doing a nautical-style nursery. We especially liked that theme because we felt that it was very appropriate for our beach house. Once we came up with the theme that we liked, I went onto Pinterest and looked up "nautical nursery." There were SO many great ideas! Good luck!

I have no style to my house decor either. It just "is". For my daughter's room I mostly wanted something that felt calming and was cute. I chose sage green as the wall colour and got a "princess veil"/mosquito netting that was hung above her crib.

I try to stay away from buying things based on decor only, wanting items that actually make me smile, give me a good feeling, that type of thing. I LOVE cute things (I have a My Little Pony doll, a minion figurine and Hello Kitty cute box thing at my desk at work for example). So yeah, I don't go for cohesive themes or designs, just colours and motifs that I enjoy seeing.

Pinterest! Lifesaver!

I was also going to suggest pinterest, gosh I love that site! I've found so much amazing and awesome stuff there.

Just type in "Baby Boy nursery" or "boy nursery ideas" in the search engine on pinterest and you will be handed images for ideas beyond your heart's content! It's a dreamland there :haha:

Start at Ikea! Even if you end up opting for more expensive items, they have some great ideas and baby essentials.

When my cousin was decorating she found bedding she loved but the set had a bumper she didn't want to use, she cut the bumper and framed the fabric since it obviously matched everything else. It wound up being a cute room.

Another cute (IMO) bumper idea - I used mine to make a teething rail for DD's crib. Turned out beautiful & added to the room!

I painted DD's nursery cream (we were team yellow & wanted something neutral). I bought pink butterfly bedding and blue dinosaur bedding. After she was born, I returned the boy stuff. I'd just say pick a theme - go to a baby store and see what kinds of bedding they have - choosing a theme should be pretty easy. Then just get color coordinating hamper, baskets for diapers, wipes, etc (or whatever you'd want) and put up some pictures last. Leave some wall space - you may want to put up pictures of your LO! :) Hope that helps! I know Pinterest can be overwhelming!

I wasn't really interested in a theme and didn't want to really 'baby up' the room, just not my taste (and let's face it, the nursery is for the parent, not the baby LOL) so I thought about how I"d like a little girls room to look and went from there. I painted it a light purple color, my favorite color..when daughter is older if she wants to change it to her favorite color we'll do that, but while she is little and doesn't care, we'll go with mine LOL...I have a couple of pottery barn pictures on one wall and my aunt put together a big puzzle with puppies and had it framed for another wall. I bought letters at michaels that spell her name and painted them pastel colors for another wall. I made some tissue paper pom flowers to hang from the ceiling. Simple, but I love it. And now she's almost 2.5, she's in a regular full size bed and I didn't have to change anything. Just added a pretty quilt and matching rug . So I say, just do what you like, whatever that is, and you'll be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->