Wanted: Info on hypnobirthing. :)

cluckerduckie

Husband and two boys
Reaction score
I am very unsure if I will be able to achieve a successful hypnobirth as I have had a previous c-section, but as my doctor is putting it- I am very likely to have a successful vaginal birth by what she sees so far.

I was interested in Bradley method, but after seeing how much the classes were (offered by my birthing hospital) I seriously took hypnobirthing into consideration.
One flaw already seen: My husband thinks that hypnosis is a bunch of bull and doesn't think that it is a good idea to try as of such his idea.
I personally don't want a medicated birth of any kind (unless it is a local to stitch up tears).
Is there any info that I can give him that may change his mind? Because of the idea, he doesn't even want to attend any classes with me and I really want him to. :flower: Thanks. :)

Show him some hypno birthing videos - my OH was sceptical as well until we started the classes, and now he is completely converted. This is a good one https://www.mybirth.tv/video-diary.cfm?id=13

Natal Hypnotherapy do a programme specifically for vbac ladies... https://www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk
I can't comment on how effective that is specifically, but I used the home birth one, and had a completely pain free, drug free labour and home birth with no fear at all in the lead up to the birth itself - I would highly recommend the 4 cd programme and the 2 day course :)

ETA: Have just seen you are in the US, so a 2 day course in the UK may be a little too much to ask ;) I'd recommend the book then, and to help convince OH, try these videos:
Alex's Birth
The Chireal Twins - this is what my labour was like, how the lady is at 2:05mins. Just totally normal and then shhhhh through the contraction itself :) And that was all the way through.

My hubby wasn't too keen, I think he had visions of people on a stage acting like a chicken, but it's not what we expected! I would say its more about deep relaxation than being hypnotised, I certainly don't feel like I'm hypnotised, just incredibly relaxed and calm!

Definately worth watching some videos of hypnobirthing, just to see how relaxed they are but not away with the fairies so to speak!

My OH was a touch sceptical... and I know many people who think it's a bit kooky... but to my mind what hypnobirthing is really about is giving your body the best chance to do what it was designed to do, without being hindered by fear and tension. In my book that's just common sense, not kooky!

I think it's the 'hypno' bit of the name that makes people think it's weird, the only point of reference they have is the type of stage hypnotist performance that you'd have to be crazy to take part in... Can you explain to him it's more about achieving the right state of mind (deep relaxation) than it is about being hypnotized in the way he might be thinking?

My OH was totally won over after our first session, and is really chuffed that he now has a 'job' to do during the birth, rather than looking on and feeling like a spare part!

Hope it all goes well for you :) XXX

I'd agree with what the other said - the hypnobirthing videos on youtube made a huge impression on him, especially given that his idea of birth was the typical one you see in the movies with all the accompanying yelling and screaming.

I have to admit that my DH was not able to attend all the classes, and only did a couple of practice sessions with me at home. During the birth, however, he was a wonderful partner and knew what to do to keep my anchored and focused.

Good luck!

ETA: The other thing that made him more enthused about hypnobirthing was the thought that he'd be able to help me on the day, instead of standing on the sidelines wringing his hands and watching me in pain. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->