Wants2bmummy is a mummy! The long and traumatic birth of George - now with pics!

Wants2bmummy

Mummy to ds and 2 angels
Reaction score
After enjoying a dinner with my girl friends and complaining that baby wouldn’t be coming anytime soon as I’d not had any ‘twinges’, I woke up at 12.30am (wed night) with what felt like intense period pains around my back and in the bottom of my bump. They started coming every 10 minutes and I woke hubby to tell him that this might be it! I was in lots of pain, so went downstairs to try and deal with it and told hubby to rest. The contractions carried on but started to get more frequent so I phoned hospital who told me to get a hot bath, take some paracetamol and use my tens machine and to phone back later when contractions were closer together.

By about 3pm the contractions were around 4 mins apart so we phoned hospital and went in to be assessed. I was absolutely gutted to find that I was only 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. My contractions also started to drop off and became infrequent so I felt like a right idiot. She advised me that it could take hours or weeks to get past the latent stage of labour so we went home and had a hot curry in an attempt to hurry things along.
That night was rough, with the contractions continuing to come and go, at one point at 3 mins apart and then dying off to 10 mins apart. I had next to no sleep (again) and persevered until about midnight the following night (Friday). We went back in only to be told I was still 2cm and 75% effaced. I was gutted, and trundled off back home for another sleepless night, running up and down the hall in pain.

Saturday day, the contractions were still at 10 mins apart and still painful and by this point I was knackered. I spent the day bouncing on my ball and running up and down the hall. Lying down was excruciating so I had bugger all rest. I preserved and by the time x-factor was on, I was in agony, running around the house howling and having a good old sob every now and again. That night was hell, and I spent the night writhing around in the bath having micro sleeps (2 minutes here and there). My contractions were still irregular but the pain was unbearable so I phoned hospital and they told me to go in for a codine tablet.

I got to hospital and had an examination and was told that I was 6cm! Hurray! I felt so relieved and a glimmer of hope that if I could get to 6cm at home with no pain relief, I could really do this! I was put into my room with my hubby and a lovely midwife who introduced me to my new best friend, gas and air. I was offered and epidural but refused and actively laboured for a couple hours. I was then 7cm dilated, and the midwife said that my cervix could stretch to 9cm. I was doing really well and it wouldn’t be long now! My contractions were still a bit irregular and not close enough together so they decided to put me on a drip to make the contractions stronger and closer together. By this point a new midwife had taken over. The drip was hell, and I was now having one big rolling contraction and the pain was unbearable. My blood pressure went sky high and baby’s heart beat started to dip. They wanted to rev the drip up again to move things along more quickly so offered an epidural again which this time I gladly took. Staying still for the epidural was really tough as the contractions were still coming thick and fast. Once the epi was in, I was still having pain as it was patchy, but it did offer some relief.

The idea of epi was that it would lower my blood pressure and stop baby’s distress. It did neither. My blood pressure went sky high and baby’s heartbeat continued to drop. At this point the midwife was clearly panicking and the dr was called to take a look at me. I was put into stirrups so that blood could be taken from baby’s head to check his oxygen. It came back okay, then his heartbeat went up again. But then it dropped, and more blood was taken from his head and again his oxygen was fine. Then his heartbeat dropped again and more blood taken and this time his oxygen was low. By this point I was 9 ½ cm. The room suddenly filled with anaesthetists, midwives, drs and a consultant. I was told that baby was in danger and I had to go to theatre and when I got there they would decide on a forceps delivery or section. If I was fully dilated I would have a forceps birth.
In theatre, I had the lip on the cervix left on one side, so an emergency section was the only option. My hubby got his scrubs on, I had the spinal block and the section took place. My baby was rushed off the resuss area to have some meconium sucked from his mouth, and thank god he didn’t swallow any. Then the magical sound… his first cry. I cried out of relief and my baby was brought over to me and given skin to skin where he promptly delivered the rest of his meconium! It turned out that baby’s cord was wrapped around his ankle and his neck and so this was probably responsible for his distress.

My baby was born at 22.19 on 7th November weighing 6lbs 15.5oz. He is an absolute star.:cloud9:

Altogether my labour was 94 hours, very traumatic and upsetting, but it was worth every minute of the pain. I’m totally in love my lo. My husband was fantastic throughout, and I couldn’t have done it without him.

I feel like that doesn’t really do justice to the absolute trauma that I felt both during and after the labour, and I still feel upset about it now.

Well done if you managed to read this far!

Attachments

• IMG00140-20101108-0836.jpg
    IMG00140-20101108-0836.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG00138-20101108-0836.jpg
    IMG00138-20101108-0836.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 7
Oh sweetie well done you! I still can't think about my labour - i can't actually remember much of it and can't remember holding Poppy for the first time. I so feel for you but you did very well! I know what you mean about the story not doing justice to the reality, thats exactly how i felt. Enjoy your boy xxxx

:hugs: oh hun sounds very traumatic! So glad your LO was ok

The love for them makes it all worth it though hey?

Lol xx

well done hun mine was no where near as long but still ended in an emergency section aswell xx

Your labour and birth sound like a very scary experience, but ended with a beautiful baby boy. I do hope you begin to heal from your traumatic birth as time goes on. Congrats on little George!

Congratulations! :hugs: Wow, what a long labor! :flower:

Congratulations! And well done! 94 hours? :eek:

Thanks fir all you're replies ladies, I've added some pics, taken at 8 hrs old x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->