Washing baby clothes question

alibaba24

Reaction score
Hi sorry if this thread is already floating around i cant find it :shrug:

Im just wondering when is a good idea to start washing bubs clothes? I dont want to do it too early so theyr lying around for ages but i also dont want to leave it til im too big and waddling around trying to get last minute things ready :rofl: once the clothes are washed theres drawers and wardrobe for them to go into so i dont think they will get too dusty or stale.... any suggestions? what are you guys doing? :flower:

xxxx

Erm... maybe you could wash them now and put them in one of those vacuum sealed bags? They should be alright if you put them away now... I'm sure plenty of babies have had it worse and survived. I'm gonna do all mine about a month before cause if I leave it too late and go into early labour, my OH will have a melt down. He's not too domestic bless him. x

bless him! Thats a point too hopefully i wont go into early labour but would be good to be prepared just incase i did

xx

He's never touched our washine machine. And he has no idea how to switch on our dishwasher or where to put the tablet. I like being prepared. I have lists for every thing I need to buy, pack for the hospital... you name it I've wrote it down and saved on word. :)

Baby clothes dont need ironing do they? I hate ironing lol.

x

I think i started about 34ish weeks last time so will probs do the same this time,surprising how long it takes to get through them all!

I ironed some of alex's things but then after he was born he wore them unironed (no time to iron with a newborn) and you couldn tell the difference so doubt i'll iron this time :haha: xxx

i done mine around 35-36 weeks I think...? lol
On ironing - I iron as soon as it comes out of the washing machine, then hang them to dry. I find it kind of half drys them then, also, seems to make them stay soft rather than crusty! (I dont have a tumble dryer... boohoo!!!)

I was talking to a coworker about this. I need to start sorting so I know what I still need, but I'm not hanging any of his clothes because it seems like such a waste of money to buy infant hangars when I have plenty of drawer space.

She suggested going ahead and sorting them into the drawers and such and then just carrying each drawer to the washer 3-4 weeks before due date, throwing clothes in and then wiping out the drawer. When the clothes come out of the dryer just fold them and put them right back in the same drawer and move on to the next one!

I started yesterday at 37 weeks.

Only problem is that nesting instinct set in yesterday and I felt the need to clean the washing machine before washing the clothes. I ended up taking it apart to get into all the grooves and crevices. I now have a very clean machine and half of the baby clothes done!

I am going to start after the new year. That way I have christmas and new year crap to keep me busy then when the lull of January hits I will have something to keep me occupied. February will be all for last minute things like making sure the house is always clean for when company comes after labour! :haha: I have seen so many on here that have come from like 36 weeks so by the beginning of february i hope to be ready. Bag packed, clothes washed, that sort of thing.

With my son I had everything washed and ready by about 30 weeks and regretted it. I had bought/been given a lot of cute little newborn clothing and once he was born nothing fit him. He was 10 pounds and 22 inches when he was born - the size of a two month old. Had I not washed everything I could have returned it all, instead it sat in a closet and I had to have my mom rush out and buy all new clothes (and diapers) that would actually fit my little moose.

I think I'm going to wash things around 35 weeks (middle of January) xx

Thanks for your replies :)

I think i will probably wait until after the year too and start in January i seem to have gathered quite a pile :blush: I originally thought i didnt have that much but it seems iv forgotten what iv bought and also had stuff given to me too! :haha:
as for ironing....am i the only one who doesnt mind it? I am weird though i have such a pet hate of putting things away that havnt been ironed :blush: although i definatly wont be ironing things like vests sleepsuits etc :)

thanks girls :flower:

xx

I've washed everything already and its packed away in draws/hosp bag. I couldn't face doing too much bending down to the washing machine that late on.

I started sorting bits out last week. I have washed the things I have been given, but nit washed the new bits yet. My intention was to wash all of the 2nd bits twice, so thought I'd do them now, then do them again once I'm on maternity leave.
I do however have a small wicker basket with lid that I have stored any tiny baby bits in that I have and they are all washed, dried, ironed and ready to go (just in case).
I need to wash all my bamboo terrys too (makes them more absorbant ;) )

I never bothered with amber.
I had nothing to do few days in this pregnancy so washed few things, that was after 38wks. Gave me something to do in later days.

I washed the clothes when I received them (mostly second hand) and i'm glad I did. I don't have much energy these days and washing truckloads of baby clothes just seem too difficult!

i never did a separate wash for them i just put things in the washing basket as i bought them so i have nothing sitting waiting its all washed, ironed and hanging up

I did things for my daughter when I got them and put them in drawers. I put a bar of opened baby soap in the drawers to keep the clothes smelling of baby. Did the trick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->