Washing cloth in a front loading washer now I have bad bad build up. Help!

melissalynn

Noah's Mum!
Reaction score
How do you mommies wash using an HE washer? I have been using cloth with no problems. I recently moved and my new house has a front loader and it isn't washing my sons diapers properly. They smell like a barn yard when he goes in them and they're causing a terrible rash all over his bum. I've been using disposables a lot lately because I can't let myself use cloth on him when it's causing him such a bad rash. :wacko:

I use to have a front loading HE washer.. HATED that thing!! So we bought a cheap top loading old school washer and had no problem with our cloth since :)

HE or front loaders try to conserve the most energy and water so your diapers are not getting enough water. Pretty much just washing in diluted pee/poo. You need to add an extra rinse before washing with soap then after wash is done. Just to get the amount of water a normal washer would use.

I have been rinsing in cold water, running a heavy duty wash cycle in hot water with detergent, then rinsing 2-3 times in cold but that isn't doing the trick. I've even gone so far as trying to wash by hand in my bathtub. But that didn't work as I had hoped lol

Have you stripped them recently? Do you have hard water where you live?

How much detergent are you using? If you don't want to add extra rinses/washes, you will probably need to reduce the amount of detergent you're using. Washers are a bit different here but in our energy efficient front loaders, people tend to use less than the full dose of detergent. I use no more than a quarter dose with most detergents. Any more and I'd be rinsing all day.

You can also put a wet towel in with the nappies to increase the weight of the load, as modern machines often weigh the laundry to work out how much water to use. Also check your manual - sometimes a heavy soil cycle uses more water but some on some machines it uses less to increase the friction, and obviously you don't want that.

Do you have the option of a warm rinse (not hot, but not cold)? Warm water will help rinse the detergent out better than cold. I'd do a cold rinse before the wash, then your longest wash cycle (mine is 3.5 hours) then at least one more rinse in warm water if you can, probably 2 rinses, or a short-ish warm wash with no detergent. Use the least amount of detergent you can use and still get the nappies clean.

If you already have build up, you will need to strip wash first though. Changing your laundry routine won't make a difference until you do, unfortunately.

Alternatively, try a detergent formulated for cloth nappies e.g. Eco Sprout, Rockin Green etc and follow the directions for an HE front loader.

This post is no longer relevant. Wash routine below.

As others have said I would do a strip wash first.

Rachel_C who has posted above has a link for strip washing...an excellent guide!

My usual routine is (front loader):
2 x Quick Wash with no spin or temp (no detergent)
1 × Intensive Wash + extra rinse @ 60c or 40c with detergent. I use about 3rd-half of recommended dose depending on how many nappies.
1 x Cotton Wash with temp off and no detergent.

Every 3-4 months I will do a strip wash using a dishwasher tablet to keep on top of any build up.

It has taken some time to find a routine that works for me. It does take around 5 hours altogether but it works and I don't get build up, leaking nappies or a rash now.

I have an HE front loader and we have hard bordering on extremely hard water.

I do a super warm wash with line 1 Tide HE (as a booster), and no extra rinse. Then I do a super wash on hot to line 2 of Tide HE with 2 tbsp Calgon and one extra rinse attached to the cycle, and that is it. I will occasionally dry in the dryer to reseal the PUL, but I mostly line or sun dry now that the weather is permitting. I have been CD for 7 months, no need to strip or anything of that nature. My cycle takes about 2-2.5 hours.

As long as there is no soap on diapers or inserts (they don't feel slimy) extra rinses/cycles are unnecessary and actually counterproductive for those with hard water as it will redeposit hard minerals onto the diapers and inserts and cause build up, repelling, and rashes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->