Washing dirty nappies from a BF/BLW baby

colsy

Mummy to 2 li'l pudd'ns
Reaction score
OK, we're doing BLW and still BF and our nappies are getting yukkier by the day. We've generally used fleece liners until now. We always dry-pailed overnight and then stuck the bucket full of wet and dirty nappies into the machine on a rinse cycle and then washed at 60 degrees with a tiny bit of Ecover mixed with Nappy Bio-D (I thikn that's what it's called anyway).

However, the liners are now yukky yukky yukky. If we're lucky and change the nappy the minute baby has done his poo, we can flush the poo down the loo and then we're no worse off than we used to be. However, if the dirty nappy stays on for even just a few minutes, then it's almost impossible to get the poo in the loo ... and I don't care what anyone says, it is NOT possible to sluice the liners in the flushing loo, it just doesn't work :growlmad: Anyway, we've now taken to taking the dirty nappies and liners and rinsing them off under the outside tap, but that means we get poo on the backyard, so then we have to wash that down as well, which all takes sooooo long.

We have also tried disposable liners but to be honest they go all soggy and just full apart once there's poo on them.

So, any good ideas for dealing with the poo? Any great soaking or rinsing ideas? Maybe you have some great recommendations of liners that are much easier to lose the poo from or that don't fall in half ... Whatever, I'm here to listen!

I get right in the loo with my hands. I start off by dipping the liner and hope the water loosens the poo and it falls off, but not always so I will squeeze and flush and rinse again. Sure it's filthy, nasty work, but it only takes a few seconds and then I wring the liner out and stick in the bucket. Wash my hands and I'm done. I've found there is no nice way of cleaning up fleece liners, I refuse to start scraping with implements, would rather just get it over with. Poo (at least Adam's poo :lol: ) on my hands doesn't really bother me, if it did I'd wear gloves. :)

I use Little Lamb fleece liners mostly, and I know just what you mean about being lucky and the poo plopping right off, but if you don't realise, it's squished right in and - yuck.

Just an idea but I have brought a baby blanket from a pound shop that I have cut up into liners, one blanket makes heaps for a pound, I won't mind throwing the really yucky ones if they are this cheap.

They are so easy to make, just cut the shape you like, no hemming as fleece does not fray.

Forgot to mention, there are disposable liners available that don't disintegrate - I had a roll of I think it was Tots Bots cellulose liners and they were similar to a dry disposable baby wipe but this was pre-weaning and I didn't get any more because I didn't like that they were not stay-dry. I think you can get some that can be rinsed and reused up to 3 times (rinsed from wees, obviously) but I don't know which they are. The lady who hosted the nappuccino I went to ages ago showed us them.

Just an idea but I have brought a baby blanket from a pound shop that I have cut up into liners, one blanket makes heaps for a pound, I won't mind throwing the really yucky ones if they are this cheap.

They are so easy to make, just cut the shape you like, no hemming as fleece does not fray.

Yeah, I've done this, too, and have thrown lots away when they were really rank. I wish there was a way a baby could indicate that this nappy will be just a wee, and thus get a nice LL liner, or a poo, and get a cheapie homemade fleece one instead. :lol:

Im having this problem too!

we've been using the bummis disposable/flushable liners, so far they havent disintegrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->