Washing nappies

fantastica

Mum.
Reaction score
Yay they finally arrived!! So now what?? I have to wash them first right? What do you use to wash your nappies?! Which detergent?! I keep seeing things that you can't use, so which ones are suitable?! Do you just wash nappies with other washing or on their own?! x

it's up to you if you wanna wash them alone or with other stuff... but just do them at as high a heat as you can bear. Bold 2in1 is the only traditional detergent stuff thats safe for nappies cos its clay based. Only use 1/3 of the amount you'd normally use, and never ever use fabric conditioner.

I do a 30 min rinse cycle, then a wash on 50 degrees, then another rinse cycle. x

The best thing to wash them with is eco-balls, as you can get a powder build up if you use too much powder, making them less absorbent and also can make them smelly. That can't happen with ecoballs. Wash regularly on a long 40ºC wash, and perhaps once a fortnight on 60º, although if your baby is ill, always use 60º. For stain removal, add a tablespoonfull of Ecover laundry bleach to your load.

Hang outside, even if the weathers not good, as the sunlight/ daylight will remove any residual stains, and sunshine is a natural bacteria killer as well! In the winter, they won't dry outside, but a good blow in the fresh air is really good for them, so hang them out for a day, and then bring them in and pop them on an airer in a warm place to finish off.

I use Bold 2 in 1 atm but I use the tablets and cut 1 tablet in half so it ends up being a quarter of the usual dosage (2 tablets being the normal dosage) :thumbup:

thank you :)
how many times should I pre-wash?! and do I just pre-wash on a normal cycle?!

is the bold 2 in 1 gel ok?? all of the bold 2 in 1s I could see are fragranced..is that ok or will it not be suitable?!!

sorry for all the questions!! x

The amount of times you prewash depends on the type of nappy. If it's microfibre inserts then just the one prewash should do it, to get rid of the manufacturing chemicals etc. But if the inserts are bamboo or hemp it can take a good few prewashes to get the absorbancy up to full. If it's a bamboo nappy then I usually wash them a couple of times (there's no need to dry them in between washes) and then just change them more frequently than I normally would. I usually prewash a new nappy as per the instructions on the nappy.
As for Bold 2 in 1 gel, I dunno about that really, I would use powder or tablets over gel tbh. All the Bolds are fragranced but they have a clay based fabric softener in so they're ok to use on nappies :) I use the blue Bold and it smells gorgeous :thumbup:

Instead of loads of pre washing, soak in water overnight too :D

I just use Non Bio and essential oils x

I use eco-balls, and some nappy cleanser (I get it from Lollipop, I think). It works well for us! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->