Washing nappy inserts - CONFUSED

Margie

Reaction score
Hello Ladies :wave:

HELP!

I have just started using cloth nappies and am getting so confused about washing them. All the instructions seem so complicated and different for each brand. :dohh::wacko::dohh:

Here's what I'm planning to do - please tell me if you think it's okay:

* Dry bucket

* Do a machine rinse cycle to get rid of any nasty bits

* Machine wash at 40°C with Fairy liquid (no softner and no napisan)

What do you think? The general advice seems to be not to soak and not to bleach. Doing a rinse and a wash cycle each time seems a bit wasteful to me. :shrug: What is everyone else doing?

I don't do a rinse first. I just dry pail, then pop in the wash with Bold 2in1, wash at 40degrees and then do an extra rinse to make sure bubbles are gone :)

Sounds good to me! If it isn't working, you'll soon notice (smelly inserts, lots of stains etc).

You might find that you don't always need to wash at 40°C, though you can if you like! I normally wash at 30°C and do the odd wash hotter. Also, I don't do a rinse cycle first because I rinse any bits before I put them in the bucket. Depending on your washing machine, you might want to do an extra rinse after the wash though, to remove all traces of detergent, or some machines do a super wash that uses more water. Make sure you only use a little bit of detergent - I think 1/4 the normal amount is recommended. If you do ever want to soak/bleach/napisan, I just avoid that for anything with PUL or that's colourful. My inserts are always fine and I wet pail the dirty ones in napisan.

Thanks Ladies.

Do you do just the nappies in a load or do you mix with other laundry?

I do s separate nappy load, dry pail, pre rinse with the prewash cycle. I use ecoballs instead of powder, with about 15 mls of Ecover laundry bleach, to help remove the stains. I normally wash at 40º, but with the occasional 60º. I also clean the machine and ecoballs once a month with a 60º empty load with a cup of vinegar in the water. Seems to work anyway!

i dry pail (with all poo rinsed off with the shower)
wash at either 30-40 with soap nuts (or 1/4 normal amount of detergent)
extra rinse to get rid of any bubbles when using detergent but not with soap nuts

i always wash my nappies on their own but as long as you only use 1/4 amount of detergent there is no need to ash them seperately :D

I wash my nappies together with other stuff (not pooey ones) I just do them at 40 with 1/4ish amount of detergent. I occasionally put them on an extra rinse but not everytime. They have never smelt bad or anything. Sometimes if (like at the moment) she has strong smelling we due to teething I rinse out her night nappy by hand before machine washing it just to get most the wee out. :)

I wash my nappies together with other stuff (not pooey ones) I just do them at 40 with 1/4ish amount of detergent. I occasionally put them on an extra rinse but not everytime. They have never smelt bad or anything. Sometimes if (like at the moment) she has strong smelling we due to teething I rinse out her night nappy by hand before machine washing it just to get most the wee out. :)

i do that too if it smells really strong

i would say do that rinse at the end aswell, theres no need to rinse them beforehand, some disgusting ones have gone into my washer, if i couldnt really get it off, and theyve come out beautiful after one wash and a rinse, i wash all of my nappies seperatly but i would possibly put a wee nappy in with other stuff, not a poo one though :sick:

x

I noticed one lady said they use bold 2 in 1 - i use this and thought I would have to change my detergent so I am glad to hear this is ok to use = thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->