Water birth pros and cons?

i have been told 39 is fine for me anyway to have as a water temp, long as its not hotter then that which is fine with me.

my normal baths tend to be around 40 degrees anyway and its never caused a issue

the only thing I can suggest is to get a tub that regulates the water temp, or have someone watch the temp for you. A low water temp can cause problems

the only thing I can suggest is to get a tub that regulates the water temp, or have someone watch the temp for you. A low water temp can cause problems

Water thermometers are cheap and readily available. They just float in the water so you can check every so often.

id love a pool that regulated the water temp it would be so much easier altho alot more expensive lol

I don't know of any cons generally, but I didn't like it.
Much preferred to pace up and down the room!

I've only heard good things but what put me off is that I'm not very comfortable in water generally and have an old, very tempermental boiler that would never produce enough hot water to fill a pool.

Not sure if you were planning a hospital, home, or birth center birth, but if you go to the hospital and they offer a water birth, they may have the regular tubs you usually see or they may have an actual water birth suite. Mine did and the water came out of this pipe in the ceiliing, so even though they had to refill it bc it got too cold (we didn't know transition was going to last 9 hrs :dohh:) they just filled it with me in there. The temp needs to be a certain temp for the baby. So even if you think you dont need it as hot, the baby does. Also a great thing was they this big hook type thing on the ceiling and you could drape a long sheet through it. That was perfect counter pressure for when i would squate to push. I was able to hold and bear down like no other. Plus there was a place for your head to go if you wanted to lay down. And it had these two bars if you wanted to do hands and knees you could flip over and hold the bars with yoru hands while you did so. that was really nice.

My biggest advice is to make sure the water goes to the nipple line. This will accomplish 2 things. First, in order for the water to be the most effective, it needs to cover your bump entirley. So if you do it at home or wherever, make sure you get a deep enough pool. Ive noticed some whater birth pools arn't very deep :dohh: second, the reason why the water going to your nipple line is important, is because when nipples are stimulated in labor it can release oxytocin. Oxytocin is important for the stimulation of contractions. This will help your labor along :thumbup:

Havent read the other replies so sorry if im repeating. I had a waterbirth with last Lo and would defiently have one again. TBH I wouldnt say it hurt less etc but the main pro for me was that I could move around freely, something I found harder with my other 2 labours.
Also looking back it felt I had a lot more privacy, once in the pool others cant see too much, unlike my other 2 labours.
:flower:

I planned a water birth with my son, got to the hospital and the pool was filled and I hated it. For some reason I got really irritated in the water was in about 5 minutes and that was it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->