Water birth vs Regular and Midwife vs OB

wanna_baby

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I am expecting my 3rd and final baby and my first 2 were natural somewhat speedy normal labor. This time around, I wanted to experience the water birth so went with a midwife vs an OB for this reason... after learning more about it, two things that I am concerned about are i found out I can't have an epidural for a water birth also, there's really no hospital stay after the birth with the midwife...

although I like the chances of less tearing with water birth (I tore for both my other babies), I am not sure if I can handle without epidural....

Also, I do enjoy the rest time at the hospital and a pediatrician examining the baby vs the midwife doing all the assessment and basically get sent home after the delivery...

I should also mention that I am in Canada and it's more common to go with OB for pregnancies here over midwife.... the only reason I wanted to go with a midwife is for the water birth experience...

Can anyone share some insight to the difference?? which did you prefer if you had both?

You can find an OB to let you labor in the water OR give birth in the water.

You can do the same with a midwife and are not sent straight home 2 minutes after pushing the baby out.

I labored in the water, then got out for the epi with dd2. (Ob)
I was supposed to labor and give birth in the water at home with dd2 but she came at 34 weeks...(midwife)

Thanks for the response OnEarth.. NOt sure if those options are available here in Canada where the OB will do water birth... I will definitely look further into it. If that's available, then that would be my best option...

I'm afraid I'm in the UK so can't comment on whether or not you could find an OB to facilitate a water birth, but I just wanted to reassure you that you may find that the water helps so much that it lessens the need for an epidural. I planned a water birth with my second but he was in too much of a rush to wait for the pool to be ready :rolleyes: but I was so calm and relaxed during his labour vs his older brothers that I only ended up using a tens machine and having 2 paracetamol whereas two years earlier with my first I'd had gas and air and an epidural.

All the women I know who've laboured and given birth in water have told me how fantastic it was for relaxation and pain relief. I have a friend with 5 children - 3 born in the pool and she says now she wouldn't do it any other way.

As for the hospital stay after baby- I don't know about Canada specifically but here in the UK if everything has been straightforward the normal stay is about 6-24 hours post birth, so I doubt they'd be sending you home any earlier than that unless you wanted to.

Thanks for your response Rebay... I guess that what I needed to hear from those that have experienced it that you don't really need the epidural for the water birth... I'm still swaying towards a water birth but will make a decision soon.. I am also attending a birthing workshop at the midwife's this week... so hopefully I can learn more about it enough to make a decision...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->