water birth worries

Becca_89

Reaction score
First time mum, thinking about my birth plan

I have heard lots of horror stories from others about having water births for their first babies, as the midwife is unable to see what is happening!

With my SPD getting worse, im feeling that it may be a good option. Iv been going to yoga and doing a lot of breathing exercises so my confidence seems to be getting better.

Also the father of my mum in with me, so i don't know which would be a nicer experience for her xxx

Lots of people have a good experience of water birth, but if your worried you could labour I the pool but get out to deliver? Remember it's about what you want, no one else!

I had a water birth with my 2nd LO and am hoping for one this time. There was plenty of room for the MW to see, the pool was spacious.

The midwife doesn't necessarily need to see anything, but they can examine and use mirrors while you're in the water or you can get out before you deliver. Maybe just try it and play it by ear, if you don't like it you don't have to stay in. What kind of things have you heard out of interest?

If your midwife/ dr is experienced in water birth I wouldn't worry. I am thinking I may labour in water then get on the bed to push but I may change my mind at the time. The main thing is keeping your bum down under the water whilst baby is coming out.

Does your hospital do tours of the labour ward or classes? Mine did a water birth class and it was really informative and helpfull. Maybe your hospital does something similar and it will help put your mind at rest?

I labored in the tub with my first. They said I had to be 5cm before I could get in and it took forever, could not wait to get inside that tub and it helped A LOT. I had terrible back labor and would tense up and literally lift myself off the bed with my arms during every contraction because I couldn't have any pressure on my back or bottom. When I got into the tub I would lounge between contractions and then float during one. Cant say it helped much with the pain, but I think being relaxed helped me dilate quicker. I went from 5cm to fully dilated in an hr and a half. I tried pushing in the tub for over an hr, but had to get out. I found it kinda awkward to push in the tub, plus I got over-heated and was too tired to try different positions and what not. This time around I'm hoping I have more energy to try different positions and actually push baby out in the water, but either way I would definitely recommend the tub :)

Thank you for all the replies, they have helped me for sure.
I have a midwife app tomorrow and will deff be asking about information and tour of the water pool, thats a really good idea.
And i never would of thought of the option to contract in there and get out to push :) thank you very much.

As for the horror stories iv heard, one was as the midwife couldnt see she didnt know what to do and resulted in a tear (which im guessing would of happened out of the water too)
The other was the baby got stuck and then she had to climb out and walk upstairs to the labour ward with the babies head out, but as she was walking they noticed she was turning blue and just pulled the baby out.
I do not know how true they are and the story most prob changed by talk.

But thank you all,i do feel really reassured and i am leaning more towards it now xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->