Water Births

blue_kat

Reaction score
Hi,

I know I am very early to be thinking about actually giving birth but its something I have fancied since I was very young! I have always felt at ease in water and just think it sounds so much calmer than a 'normal' birth although would prefer it to happen in hospital as I am bit nervous incase something goes wrong!

How early do I need to mention it to my midwife? I dont want to sound silly by saying it at my first appointment but at the same time I dont want to leave it too late and miss out!

Also, if anyone has as experience of it themselves and have any words of wisdom feel free to say - good or bad! :)

Thanks! xx

I'm just 4 weeks along and planning my water labour... and maybe birth.... Who know's where I'll be when the pushing starts... but chances are I won't want to move!

Anyways, I've never met a woman who had a waterbirth and regretted it! Water therapy is definitly one of the best pain relief options in labour. I'm not even a "water" person and in my last labour I never left the shower and the whole time all I thought about what how bad I wish I had access to a tub or birth pool cause it would have been so relaxing.

It's definitly not to early to question your midwife about the waterbirth option. Here in Ontario, Canada it's very rare to have a hospital water birth. I only know of one hospital that will "allow" it and many many many many more who don't.

It's never too early to start planning! I'd chat with your midwife sooner rather than later just to find out how many pools your hospital has. You may even be better off choosing a local birthing centre? I had always wanted to labour and birth in a pool, but my VERY BUSY local hospital only had one pool and there was no guarantee that I would be able to use it, so I changed my mind and opted for a home water birth instead. x

At your first appointment she will ask you some questions to see if you are high or low risk and then ask where you want to give birth, mention it at your first appointment xxx

Good luck! It is super early for me too, but I also want a water birth, at home. I haven't met my midwife yet, but when I spoke to her on the phone she was totally cool with it and was happy that I was already had some ideas of what I wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->