Water Meters

Cat

Reaction score
Im interested to know if anyone has had a water meter fitted and if it saves then money or not. Im very frugal with water usage anyway and Idont have a dishwasher, only do washing once a week and we have showers or share baths etc but Ijust wondered if it really made a saving? or does it just cain you if you do use a lot?

I'm on a set rate - Never had a bill on top of that!

:D

Wobbles said:
I'm on a set rate - Never had a bill on top of that!

:D
See thats the thing, thats what you have if you dont have a meter, they charge you based on the size house you have so if you a single person living in a three bed house, your paying for a family of 4! Its not based on your actual usage of even the number of people living in your house at all. Its free to have one fitted, but once you have one you cant change your mind and stop using it, so you have to be certain it works out at being a saving.
I think on Uswitch you can do a questionaire where they ask you about what apliances you use and how often etc and they tell you how much your bills would be on a meter, but I dont know how acurate that is. y mum makes a saving but I think my grans is faulty as her bills are really high.

Madness! :shock:

We have a 2 bedroom bunglow & I think ours is about £30 (£40 with errors) a month! We have a dishwasher but I don't have it plumbed in (condition of new house - Must be able to use it lol)! I do about 5 loads of washing a week at least (I have 10 secret kids) - Whites, darks, towels, rug, bedding ....

I have a bath every day he has a shower every day then normal useage for kitchen, dishes, etc :D

I always thought the pay as go thing was more expensive!

I hate paying water tbh, Northern Ireland didn't have water charges & tbh I don't see a big difference in council tax either so when I came to England I refused to pay it until now :lol:

Holy cow you use a lot of water!!! How the hell do you have that much washing, I do one load of washing once a week if that! Ibath and share my bath with noah every 3 days, and Oh showers three times a week.

When you say you pay £30 a month is that for water ans sewerage? Cause we pay about £30 for each

No idea how much we pay for water, never needed to pay for it untill recently.

I have a bath everyday but share it with Rob. Prob do on average 3 wash loads a week, no dishwasher unless you count Rob :D

Cat said:
Holy cow you use a lot of water!!! How the hell do you have that much washing, I do one load of washing once a week if that! Ibath and share my bath with noah every 3 days, and Oh showers three times a week.

When you say you pay £30 a month is that for water ans sewerage? Cause we pay about £30 for each
Erm my washes each week;
1 whites
2 darks
Livingroom sheepy rug & bathroom rug
Wool stuff (my tops)
Towels
Bedding

:oops:

Well I think it covers all Cat I don't get any other bills!

See we pay about £60 a month at the mo and yet use very little water. Ispoke to my mum last night and she has a water meter and she said her water bills are only £20 a month, and she does 3 loads of washing a week, and has 3 deep baths a week.

apparently because the water companies want everyone to go over to meters, its a lot cheaper to entice people. And they clober the pre pay people, and unless you have a huge family and use loads of water then a meter is always cheaper.

Eek ours defo isn't that much :shock:

i put on 1-2 loads of washing every day!!! i bath every day and bath the kids every 2nd day!

im in a council house at the mo and its included in teh rent 6quid a week but if we move im defo paiying buy DD as i do with gas and electric

Wobbles said:
Cat said:

Erm my washes each week;
1 whites
2 darks
Livingroom sheepy rug & bathroom rug
Wool stuff (my tops)
Towels
Bedding

:oops:

Well I think it covers all Cat I don't get any other bills!

gosh wobbles, fancy doing some of my washing??

i have at least 1 load a day to do! 2 on a weekwnd when i do the bedding!

we use loads of water and are on meter,
2 baths every day
some times 1 shower as well
dishwasher once a day
washing machine at least twice a day
washing car once a week

and we pay £30 a month for water and waste water

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads