Water on the brain at 20 week scan, anyone else?

LDC

Reaction score
The 20 week scan today showed excess water on the brain; the lady said they'd expect around 10% and little one has 15%.

They've referred me to foetal medicine and now I just have to wait for them to call. I was told theyll do another 20 week scan and check and give me more info about the fluid.

I'm trying not to worry or panic but I'm fretting.

I've read a little bit and it seems that it can depend on the severity in terms of what the outcomes could be, but some aren't good.

Anyone have any experience of this? I feel really down and alone xxx

I didn't want to read and run, I have no experience of this but I am sending you my love xxxx

Thank you, just wish I could find someone else going through something similar. I feel so isolated :( xx

Oh love I am so sorry, I don't understand why they tell people these findings with no solid information and advice xx I will do the dreaded Google and see what I can come up with for you xxx

I have just read a thread on netmums and a lady was saying its very common for the fluid to drain itself away apparently xxxxx

Thank you, it's just the limbo of waiting for the hospital to give me an appointment. The weekend doesn't help because the department is closed but I'm going to call Monday early afternoon if I've not heard anything - it's driving me crazy. Just want to know what we're dealing with, if anything, so I know where we stand.

Can feel the baby moving and kicking too which makes me happy but sad at the same time.

I'm really hoping the fluid has reduced buy the time they do another scan, I'm just worried because there was quite a lot. The woman said 15% water when they'd expect 10% which didn't seem too much but I think there's meant to be no more than 10mm and from what I understand on my notes Lo has 16mm one side and 18mm on the other, which seems a lot more than 5%

Xx

Is this similar to a choroid plexus cyst? If so, I was told my daughter has 2 cysts on her brain. One was 6mm and another 9mm. When we went back the following week one went down to 3mm and the other was 8mm. So, in only a week they had changed. We haven't been back for a follow up appointment until the end of the month.

Ah love :( the lady on the thread was saying she had to wait three weeks for her results and she was so distressed its not right :( if you can feel baby moving then surely that's a great thing xxxx

my sister had this with my niece, it gradually drained away as time went by. She had a csection and baby weighed around 5lbs as it affected her growth, but she's now a perfectly healthy 9 year old :flower: fingers crossed for you, must be very stressful xxx

my sister had this with my niece, it gradually drained away as time went by. She had a csection and baby weighed around 5lbs as it affected her growth, but she's now a perfectly healthy 9 year old :flower: fingers crossed for you, must be very stressful xxx

That is great to hear, I am sure it will be a great comfort to this mum xx Glad to hear that your niece is doing really well xxx

Thank you for sharing your nieces experience, I'm so glad to hear a positive story and that your niece is doing really well. It's these kind of stories that I need to cling on to. :flower:

I'm trying to think that the more time before my next scan means more days where hopefully the fluid level will have changed, for the better and hopefully decreased.

Xx

Is this similar to a choroid plexus cyst? If so, I was told my daughter has 2 cysts on her brain. One was 6mm and another 9mm. When we went back the following week one went down to 3mm and the other was 8mm. So, in only a week they had changed. We haven't been back for a follow up appointment until the end of the month.

I'm genuinely not sure, I don't think it is as they didn't mention cysts at the scan, just water, but who knows! I'm hoping the foetal medicine appointment will be able to tell me much more - just need the blinking appointment!

I'm so glad your daughters have shrunk and I'll keep my fingers crossed that they continue to decrease, I wish you lots of luck xx

So I called the hospital today and have been booked in at foetal medicine for 10am tomorrow.

Part of me is glad that the wait is over, the other half is absolutely TERRIFIED.

I'm trying to think positive, hopefully the water will have drained a little showing a good sign of progression. Or that the sonographer was just being overly cautious.

Fingers crossed. Prayed hard to God, just have to hope all is on side.

Xx

Guys... There is an update, but its in second trimester losses... Thought you would like to know. Maybe go give her some love and support that she needs right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->