Water

Arcanegirl

Bazinga!!
Reaction score
at the moment Alex doesnt take any water, just the water thats mixed with his bottles.
I offer a beaker but he doesnt use it or take water from it. Should i just offer water from a bottle?

we offered Hannah a sippy of water with every meal. She played with it for several weeks before she started drinking out of it. I would just keep offering it as long as he's getting plenty of liquids through his milk (not dehydrated)

I would offer it in a cup with meals with Hayden, he really didn't drink from it for months though. I figured if he was thirsty he would drink, and he did, the first time he finally really drank was when we were at the zoo, he was thirsty so he drank it :)

I always figured with Hannah if she needed it she would drink it. I also didn't want her to get used to getting water out of a bottle as I wanted to encourage her to use cups....

Yea thats what im thinking aswell but also concerned that hes not having any atm

We're the same Arcanegirl. Ruby will drink water from a bottle but has no idea what to do with the cup. TBH I'm not sure what to do either! She isn't drinking from the cup because she doesn't know how, not because she isn't thirsty...

Roman drinks from a cup but only if its free flow. He finds it hard to use the ones that only dispense water when you suck. He took to using one very well and sure knows where it goes.

Have you tried wrapping his hands around the handles and letting him take control?

Sometimes though i offer it him in a bottle because i like to give him water between each feed. He loves water and moans for more if i take it away.

Yeah, some people advised me to remove the valve from her sippy cup, that might help if you haven't already. Made no difference in our case though, think I'm going to try a Doidy cup.

we used a soft spout cup at first and once Hannah got the hang of that one we moved onto a straw cup. She never really liked the hard spout ones

would it be a bad thing to put some of his milk in one, so he understands that something he likes/needs comes out of it?

Hannah had formula in her cup from 8ish months? but she started to self wean off bottles once she got the hang of her cups

Do you have any TT CTN bottles at all?

If so, TT do a non spill sippy cup that has interchangable handles which will fit on the CTN bottles.

What we done to begin with is put the handles on her milk bottles and let her get used to holding the handles.

But as some of the others have said, non spill cups were a no go and she wouldn't drink from them, she'd only chew on them.

As soon as we gave her a free flow one she was away, drinking like a pro! Honestly you wouldn't believe it. But then she would never drink water out of a bottle but out of a sippy cup she loves it.

Another thing I've found is that she watches me sooo intently whenever I drink. I have read before that getting a sippy cup yourself and letting LO watch you drink from it can help and knowing how much Violet watches me drink, I can quite believe that.

If he still won't drink from a cup then personally I'd still offer it to him (to explore and learn) but continue to give him water in a bottle if you're worried about dehydration.

We use mam bottles but i have started to put handles on them, he just doesnt hold them :lol:

I have a TT explora sippy which has the valve, so ill take that out and try it.

I don't have any experience with sippy cups but it does occur to me that maybe he's having to work a bit too hard with these cups? I've been using a doidy and it did take a couple of weeks for her to learn how to drink from it but because the water hit her lips every time, she knew it was there. Our main problem was getting her to swallow and not spit it back out! :lol: Maybe try him with an open beaker as well and see how he does?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->