Waterbirth/Birth Center Dreams Squashed :*(

Ouverture

Reaction score
Sorry ladies, I just need to vent :(

I read this board a lot but don't comment much. I love you ladies and your attitude and know you'll understand!

I'm 38+3 today. . .and my birth center (free standing, accredited, run by 5 midwives) where I was planning a water birth is most likely sending me to the hospital instead.

I'm so angry/frustrated/disappointed/upset. . .:cry:

Last week I went in for my 37 week appointment after a super frustrating afternoon and my blood pressure was reading 130/90 pretty consistently. They drew blood, took a urine sample and a 24 hour urine test and things came back negative for Pre-E, they told me to take it easy and de-stress.

Went for my 38 week appointment last night, understand I've had a SUPER healthy pregnancy, spot on measurements/weight gain, no GD or GBS, nothing. . .and my BP readings were in the 140/85 range. The cutoff is 140/90. . .they said I'm eeking up and are concerned that it could develop into Pre-E. . .and that there was nothing I could have done about it. :nope: It simply 'is'.

They ran another blood/urine test and I'm waiting as we speak for the results, which may or may not send me to the hospital pretty much immediately. They performed a sweep on me last night (ouch) and if my lab work comes back ok they are going to do another sweep tomorrow morning in an effort to get things moving as it appears things are getting worse, not better.

It's taking them so long to call me back with lab results that I'm really starting to worry. . .words cannot describe how I'm feeling right now :(

The good news is, because it's a non-emergent transfer out of midwife care, I can choose the hospital - I'm looking at a local midwife unit at a hospital that allows you to labor in water. . .won't be able to deliver there, but at least I can labor there. I just pray that this sweep gets things moving and I won't require a chemical induction.

Before the sweep last night I was 1cm, 50%, baby not really engaged (-2 I think). Bled quite a bit after the sweep, they said that was a good sign that it irritated my cervix into dilating some more. Otherwise I'm not feeling much yet, other than it looks like baby dropped a bit, and I have some easy cramps and a quiet (but still moving) baby today.

I'm scared. I'm upset. I'm trying to get over it, suck it up, and move on. . .but it's really hard. The only thing getting me through this is knowing that we'll probably be meeting our precious little man in the next 3-4 days. . .

:cry:

How terribly frustrating, and so not helpful to your BP. I hope things go smoothly for you!

I don't understand most of the medical jargon (still under 5 weeks myself and new to it all) but I can understand how frustrating this must be. Especially so close to the delivery, when you had everything planned out. Hoping for a healthy delivery for you, either way - and that's all that matters in the end.

Question: what do you mean by they let you labor there and not deliver?

If the cut off is 140/90 then you're not at the cut off yet :hugs:

I know the frustration of having high BP in the last few weeks. It happened to me with DD and I never had protein, just the high BP and oedema so you may not develop any further symptoms and will be able to go to term (I was 4 days 'overdue' with DD) but be monitored every other day. Try not to panic (I know it's easier said than done) as the worry will affect your blood pressure.

Question: what do you mean by they let you labor there and not deliver?

You can labour in the pool, i.e. have contractions there but the actual delivery won't take place there

OP: This sounds so frustrating, hopefully it's going ok for you. Good luck!

I hope the test come back great and that you can have your water birth .

Just wanted to send you a hug. I am due to have our little one in a birthing centre and my last few appointments my BP has been creeping up; each time I dread this means I won't get the birth I want and will be sent to the hospital labour ward.

Let us know how your results come back and what they suggest. Keeping everything crossed for you. X

Thanks so much for your support ladies!

Here is my update.

So, despite labs coming back ok, the birth center referred me to an OB and encouraged him to induce us on Friday. We went to the appointment, passed the bio physical profile with flying colors and the only thing against us was a high blood pressure reading. . .again.

We held off an induction until Monday and monitored my BP at home (note, it was normal all weekend), went to a follow up appointment with him and again, again got a high BP reading. . .we agreed to a non-stress test in the hospital where, wouldn't you know it, my BP was not only normal but LOW over the course of 2 hours! ! ! They drew labs again and nothing was wrong.

He pushed us to induce anyways. . .and right as we were about to say 'screw that' and check out of the hospital, our baby pulled some heart decel shenanigans and scared the crap out of me. . .I thought for sure they were going to rush me in for a c-section right then! ! ! They think he was just laying on his cord or playing with it.

So all emotional and a mess, I agreed to a SOFT induction with only cervadil. Inserted at 4pm, 1cm, 60% and -2 station. . .contractions kicked in and got progressively stronger to where I really had to breath/move through them, every 1-2 minutes they came. . .I didn't get a break for over 2 hours at one point.

In the morning, they removed the cervadil and I was a loose 1cm, 85%, and zero station - lots of PROGRESS! But the contractions started to peter out, and the OB wanted to break my water immediately and start me on pitocin.

Keep in mind, my blood pressure, and the baby, were perfect all night long. Even the nurses were questioning why our OB was wanting to be so aggressive.

So we walked. We checked out of the hospital, sent an email to the midwife with an update, and have another follow up appointment tomorrow with the OB. I don't like or trust this guy, but the hospital and the nurses are amazing. . .so I can get on board with that although they won't let me deliver the baby underwater.

So here we are. I'm at home, slept about 12 hours since we got home because I was EXHAUSTED, and now I'm trying to walk this baby out. . .I get crampy again when I walk so I know labor is seriously around the corner. Praying I go into labor again very very soon, please keep us in your thoughts/prayers!

Induction doesn't work a lot of women when it isn't meant to be hun :( I was in a VERY similar situation - failed induction, sent home, 12 hours after I was sent home my waters went on their own and that was that. Baby was born 18 or so hours later.

I have everything crossed for you, hope it all goes smoothly and well done for walking!!

Just read your post and I hope things have moved on nicely for you! Your probably holding you LO right now! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->