Watered down juice ??

I have given my LO water every since she was admitted to hospital because of bad bad constipation, thats the only reason I give her the little bit of water each day, she is much better now
___XO

i gave my LO water at that age, not much just an oz a day as it was really hot but i wouldnt give juice, i never have and he still has water

ETA: i was advised by my HV to do this

This is just a thought but I don't think it's so much that a 6 week old 'hates water' but that perhaps if she is very hungry, then she is upset with the water because she actually wants the milk instead.

Instead of assuming one way or another, I really really recommend seeing a pediatrician (not an HV) for clarification - someone who has an up-to-date perspective of the issue and is qualified to advise you.

No, nobody is saying your baby will be harmed by it, but it may not be the best course of action either. Yes, some (very few) babies have had problems with being overfed with water, and nearly all babies are just fine ("done them no harm") but that doesn't mean that it's right for your girl either.

Seek a qualified opinion... good luck!

PS Is your girl sick/upset after drinking so much milk? If not, then she sounds like a very hungry baby and that's 100% normal with cluster feeding/growth spurts. If so, and she has some pain, there is a possibility that she has acid reflux and will overfeed in an attempt to cool her throat.

hun if you want to feed your baby bits of water in this heat do it, i did with my eldest and hes fine and if LO needs it she will too. just in moderation so they dont fill up on it :hugs: my HV also told me it was fine x

Thanks everyone for your opinions :) my baby girl was 8 pound 3 when born n is now 10 pound 11 n never lost any weight just gained since she was born. She won't take to her dummy she spits it out n it makes her cry more when she's hungry if we try to keep it in her mouth.

I think from what everyone has said I know my baby best n even though she doesn't really like the water on the odd occasion she does take it she must be wantin it n also like someone else has said it freshens up her mouth I wontbe adding any juice to it though. Alexa suffers with conspitation n colic also n the little bit of water that she does drink prevents her from her constipation coming back

Xxx

Thanks everyone for your opinions :) my baby girl was 8 pound 3 when born n is now 10 pound 11 n never lost any weight just gained since she was born. She won't take to her dummy she spits it out n it makes her cry more when she's hungry if we try to keep it in her mouth.

I think from what everyone has said I know my baby best n even though she doesn't really like the water on the odd occasion she does take it she must be wantin it n also like someone else has said it freshens up her mouth I wontbe adding any juice to it though. Alexa suffers with conspitation n colic also n the little bit of water that she does drink prevents her from her constipation coming back

Xxx

her weight sounds fine to me hun! my LO was 8lbs 2 when born and at 6 weeks was 11lbs 14
she sounds exactly the same as my LO in regards to the dummy! have you tried the mam ones, my LO seemed to get on with those better

Xxx

She sounds exactly like my boy at that age. He had a lot of tummy/constipation/crying pain ("colic") and ate huge amounts of milk. It turns out he had acid reflux disease (or silent reflux for babies who don't vomit), where the acid was coming back up and he would overfeed the milk to cool down his throat (and it made it worse).

So then I would really, really suggest seeing a pediatrician if she's making massive weight gains/huge feeds/stomach pains - it may be a sign of reflux.

I think a sip here and there isnt going to hurt anything..I mean, I always warmed my LO's bottles...can you imagine in 80 degree weather drinking nothing but warm milk? :sick: I think some water or juice here and there would be just fine, but just not replacing a feed.

that is cetainly not too much weight! Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job if she's not lost any! Well done you!

Tristan was 7lb 10oz at birth and at 6 weeks was10lb 15oz.... i was told through out he was doing fab.

I started giving Aliyah water at around 10 weeks due to constipation.
I don't offer her juices though,she has had it 3 times but the baby juice and now she loves her water so wont be getting it again:haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->