Weaning 1yo off bottle

Jft1

Reaction score
DS was 1 last week. He doesn’t have a dummy, I went cold turkey with that at about 3 or 4 months when he went through a sleep regression and was waking for it every 30 minutes. We’ve dropped all of his bottles no problem - the day ones he just gets meals/snacks instead. He has milk in a cup with his breakfast and milk in his cereal so I’m not worried about milk intake. But - The bedtime bottle is a different kettle of fish!! I started giving him a cup of milk before his bath and then gradually decreasing the amount of milk in his bottle. The less milk he gets the more he moans before he settles. Tonight he only had about 2oz and moaned for about 10 minutes.
Has anyone got any advice on how to make this easier?

Are you wanting to drop the bottle itself or the milk? Or both?

I know some people have success thinning the milk out with water instead of decreasing the volume of milk. So start with 80/20 milk, then 60/40, 50/50 etc until he’s just drinking warm water.

We let our DS1 have a bedtime bottle until he turned 2, then went cold turkey. No bottle no milk before bed. We just gave him something to drink with his dinner. He complained a bit but not much.

However he never had a bottle in his bed, it was always cuddles and a bottle, then bedtime after he was finished. If he’s taking it in bed I’d recommend just going cold turkey. It’s tough but give it 3 days and he’ll probably be going down just fine on his own :)

thanks Sander :)
The bottle, I’ve got no issue with him having a cup of milk before his bath. My problem is that our routine has been bath, bottle with cuddles, bed. He gets his teeth brushed in the bath (he has 8) so after his bath I really don’t want him to be having anything else to drink.
If he moans tonight I’ll either stick it out or give him some watered down. He slept right through last night so he definitely isn’t moaning because he’s hungry, I guess it’s just a comfort thing.
I honestly hate stages like this lol!

Last night was ok, he didn’t moan too much. Tonight he was great, didn’t moan at all, rolled around in his cot for a few minutes until he got comfy. Praying this continues!!

Thanks Bev!

straight to bed tonight with no fuss, he clearly doesn’t miss the bottle! Such a clever boy \\:D/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->