Weaning but not taking full bottles!

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Ok I need some Mummy thoughts!

Im getting ready to wean Caitlin I think shes definately ready and I also think it will do her good. This girly is such a lazy drinker she takes from 4oz to 7oz (at a big push) a bottle she usually has 4 bottles sometimes 5 then sleeps through the night so Im figuring whist thinking shes ready although not taking full bottles this is obviously just her so weaning would top her lil tum tum up?

I heard not to until bubs is taking 9oz bottles but I think I'll be waiting forever!

She is satisfied on the bottles ...stubborn and drinks what she wants (fair enough) but I'm not! Like this AM she slept from 11pm to 8am and took 4 half oz ...even tried again after a bit but she continued to refuse and is happily playing in her walker.

Doing the right thing?

Its hard to know Wobbles, she could be ready but as shes not showing any signs then weaning could go slow too :(

Are your reasons for weaning to get more into her? The thing is once Caitlin is weaning she may not want as much milk and as she'd be taking so little in the terms of a meal it would kinda defeat the purpose (?)

If Caitlin is happy then I would wait, is she content between feeds?

I started Katie off at about 5 1/2 months, she was taking in excess of 40oz's a day and was starting to get very gripey between meals but she hated eating; so I forgot about it for another week or so (actually I was going on holiday and it seemed like hassle) so when we got back from hols we started again and she went from 1 meal to 3 meals a day in 10 day :shock: she just 'caught on'

Obviously you know your own daughter but adding solids at this stage, when Caitlin in settled may reduce her milk intake further.

its really hit and miss you gotta just try and see how they take to it some babies are fast others take ages

my 1st was prem and didnt wean till 4/5 months he didnt take to it and it took ages to get him on a steady diet and daily routine

2nd needed weaned from 2 months :shock: ( he was a big baby and bottles didnt satisfy him) and soon as he had baby rice 1st day he never looked back was on 3 meals a day within 2-3 weeks

and now Ebonii has been on rice, fruit and veg puree since 10 weeks 8-[ shes only ever taken 7oz bottles sometimes less depending on her mood..... but now she wakes has bottle then few hrs later baby breakfast with few oz milk, lunch & few oz milk, dinner & few oz milk then bottle before bed and she is thriving and has never looked back :happydance:

See its not recommended now until 4-6 months pref 6 I believe :confused:

Caitlin seems satisified -ish! I think its her lol Lazy drinker in short so Im thiking the weaning 'may' do well & you don't give until after bottlefeed so should be ok I thought. She is interested in 'tastes' though that we have worked out :D

yeah thats what they say 4-6 months pref 6 months now

it was 4 months when my boys were babies but tbh I think if you feel the baby is ready for food you should try it if they dont like it no great fuss plenty time to keep trying....... my mate left weaning till her lad was 6 months and now refuses to take food from a spoon hes that used to his bottle he wont take food now meaning she is bottle feeding him every other hour full 9oz bottles

if i had left mine to 6 months they wouldda been wanting fed ever hour as well.... stuff that :rofl:

same with sma white!!!! I asked my HV about putting Ebonii on that before i tried weaning her as she was VERY hungry and both my boys went to SMA white but she said its now meant to cause liver and kidney problems ....... if it was that bad they wouldnt sell it :dohh: drives me mad

I would go by my gut feeling and start slowly to see how she reacts on it (milk intake, milk cut back, digestion, poo, wind...)

if everything is fine and she doesn't cut back on her milk intake, or not too rapidly, I would go on

that is what I did with Juleika, I always made sure she is still drinking enough milk and kept a close eye on her digestion

if she does cut back on her milk intake or gets digestion problems, I would wait a bit longer

but please note, these are only my mummy guts, can't guarantee that this is the right advice, though ;)

Cheers Mickey!

Ive started! She had juice other day which she loves but didn't like a beaker. I havegiven her a bit of bread before she sucked but didn't eat so just now gave her a taste of baby rice she got the hang of it straight away ...mouth open sucked spoon sucked rice and smiled sticking her tongue out for more - a sign surely :D

awww I'm glad she enjoyed it :)

it's nice to see them enjoying the food, isn't it?

Juleika wants to feed herself already and always takes the spoon in her hand ;)

I've started to freeze stuff now as well, as we have gone trough the first tastes (babyrice, apple, pear, banana, potatoe, carrot, broccoli) and she has eaten everything so far :happydance:

I always gave her a bit for lunch.
once she turns six month, I will follow the weaning guide for six month and soon introduce solids for dinner :hi:

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->