Weaning help

Miss26

Reaction score
Currently i am giving Alex approx two or three ice cubes of whatever i have made up before his bottle, twice a day. What do i do next? My friends health visitor said to replace one bottle a week with solids. Does this sound right? How did you do it?

I give Caitlin her food after her bottle ...HV said to change that soon (food then milk)

Caitlin has:
Morning: bottle + cereal
Afternoon: bottle + something fruity/ricey
Evening: bottle & dinner (chicken paste spa etc)
Night: Cow & gate night milk now
Bed

I think baby is too young to 'replace' a bottle! Caitlin now weaning needs the MINIMUM of 20oz a day ontop of foods or at least that what my HV said only last week. Plus she has full fat cows milk on her cereal which isn't allowed to the MIN of 6 months (although some places say 8 months I read).

I wouldn't anyway but thats my personal opinion & I'm still learning :lol:

It depends on how many bottles a day alex is haing, how many is he having?

I replaced bottles.. but that was only because Ryan was having 9 6oz bottles a day, so I got him down to 3-4 7oz bottles. So like the other girls said, it really does depend how much he's having now.. you don't want to cut it down too much. If you do need to do that though.. just gradually build up the amount of food he has, and make less milk up each time - giving the food before the milk. Also, I give water/juice with his lunch instead of milk. x

The recommendations say that a weaning baby should still be having 500-600ml or around 17-21oz formula every day. So I think you could cut one of his bottles out. Although I'd maybe ask your own HV about it first. I only really started cutting down bottles when Ryan was eating quite a lot.

For example he has;
- a jar's-worth of food for breakfast with 4oz milk
- 11am - 6oz milk
- a jar for lunch with juice/water
- mid-afternoon he'll have 6-7oz milk
- a jar of savoury followed by a yogurt/similar for dinner
- 7oz milk before bed

x

Would definately depend on baby then because Caitlin went to 7-9oz bottles 4 times a day and since weaning her takes about 5 each bottle so she needs her 4 bottles & I definately cannot drop one.

Definately, Wobbles. Ryan seemed to naturally drop some of his bottles as I increased his food. He was taking 3-4 of them at night, and we dropped all those as he started sleeping through. If he does wake now, he has a dummy instead, as he was just using the bottles for comfort. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->