weaning nappies! (BLW) & some more Q's

NIfirsttimer

Proud mum, new wife & WTT
Reaction score
help:sick: they are REALLY bad
Ruby is really getting into BLW, and starting to eat quite a bit.. but her nappies have been seriously bad since!! shes having lots of fruit and veg, im seeing the proof in the nappies, of the food shes eaten, so i know shes taking in a good amount, but is it normal for them to be so rotten!?
shes gone from 1 x daily, usually at the same time of day, to all over the place, sometimes 3 x daily! they arent exactly loose, but theres lots of it so we are having major leaks..
i think the issue might be broccoli? she seems to really like it, as do i, so we have it quite a lot, 2 days in a row just there, and it seems to be after broccoli that she has a major nappy explosion (usually filled with broccoli!) should i be worried about this? is it normal, or should i avoid it?

also.......
when did u guys chose to introduce meat? (and what, and how, and why lol)

when should i expect her to drop a feed? she always had a lot more than those daft guidelines suggest she should.. but now that shes eating, im guessing she will drop one sometime soon.. do they always drop a full feed, or just take less at each / some feeds?
at the min shes having around 5 or 6 8.5oz (on average) feeds, so around 50 oz of milk a day, so thats a lot esp when shes eating too?

Yeah the weaning poos are pretty rank aren't they, lol. Freya's are totally random too, and she used to be a one a day kind. I don't find them loose though, if anything more solid, and like grown up poo. If they were unusually runny I would think maybe she has an issue with a particular food, and would stop giving it for a few weeks. But not if that's normal for Ruby.

Maybe once she gets better at chewing and her digestive system catches up then they will settle down a bit?

We are not giving Freya any meat, so can't help you there really, but I *think* I read that it's ok to introduce it now, things like chicken strips, beef etc. They just suck on it to start with.

I'm not sure about dropping a feed, Freya is on 40oz+ a day still, sometimes up to 50oz. And she eats quite a bit now, I have been expecting her to drop some milk for a little while, but no! They will when they're ready anyway. I think you just need to get it the right way round with which you offer first, at your stage (and mine still) it's important to give milk the priority, and in a few months from now I will probably be thinking about giving her food first, and milk after. (so 10-12 months?).

I'm sure someone will pop along and give some more direct answers, lol.

:D

ooow i'm gonna keep an eye on this too...i now its N/A 4 me just yet but would b interesting to know in advance.

the BLW book says its fine to introduce meat straight away (asuming u've waiting til 6 months to start). i think the concern abt introducing certain foods is only needed if u go down the purees route or start prior to 6 months. Honey is the only thing u need to wait to introduce with BLW....or am i wrong?

those nappies don't sound too nice! hopefully they will stop when digestion gets better

Ugh, Ruby's nappies are gross too. I used to have to smell her to see if she needed changing, now I don't have to get that close, lol!

Ruby's are sometimes loose and sometimes very solid.

We're very very slowly introducing meat now. She's only eaten it about 3 times, the first time being boxing day where she loved my mum's ham! She couldn't chew the turkey very well, not surprisingly IMO! She's also had chicken curry which went down well.

To be honest, I've no clue about the milk. As my Ruby is on the higher end of the weight spectrum and eating well now, I've offered less milk in 2 of her bottles and dropped a bottle completely (the dreamfeed). Before weaning she was on over 40oz, now she's on about 25oz. The thing is with Ruby is that she'll usually take whatever milk is offered, regardless of what solids had been eaten. And she never 'demands' milk either, never has done really.

Not been much help sorry.

Violets naapies were disgusting to start with, loads of explosive ones too, but then, she was cutting 2 teeth as well.

Since cutting out spring onion and wholemeal bread and cutting down on banana and tomato, they're now like proper nappies, even though she's cutting another 2 teeth. So I really cant advise... Dunno if it was certain food, her tummy getting used to food or the teething but we had 6 dirty nappies a day (loose) from one or two 'normal' nappies before starting.

We introduced meat at about 6.5months and she has it often, more days than not and she's been fine with it. She has chicken, bacon, mince and even burgers. There's no reason why you can't introduce it at 6 months as far as I'm aware?

As for bottles, Violet was on 4 x 8oz before starting and up until Xmas week. She wouldn't "demand" it - I just got used to her routine and when she should want it and always had it ready for her. She never refuse any either. And then randomly on Xmas week, she started refusing half the bottle each time and was in a right mess with her feeds. At the end of the week though, she'd settled down and had dropped a bottle - she'd readjusted the amount and times she wanted milk. I don't know if that's because she started eating more and therefore wanted less milk or if she was eating more because she had less milk lol. She still doesn't "demand" milk so I assume the first and is more than happy to have food when hungry, she doesn't get frustrated and definately associates hunger and food.

ETA: It took almost 3 months for her to eat a significant amount and to then subsquently drop a feed.

Not sure if that helps though?

Slight hijack here, apologies -- :blush:

I've had the super stinky poo problem too.... but wonder if anyone else experienced this particular stink....??

Anyone one with the experience of the nasty early smell found it smelled like vinegar? That is what Otter's has smelled like lately. They are more regular again... and they still look normal... but man oh man...it is like sniffing vinegar??? :wacko:

yes yes yes!! omg its vinegar alright!!!!!

saying that, they have been a bit better in the last few days..

Oh good!! I am glad I am not the only one!!! haha!!

Oh yes, we had vinegary nappies! And they briefly went green :sick:

OMG we had vinigar nappies and a few that were greeny coloured but b4 we started weaning...i thought it was teething nappies (thats what someone else told me)

since we've started BLW we've had some v gross explosive nappies! yesterday we had 6 poo nappies which all escaped all over his vests (i now have a huge pile of dirty washing from just one day!!)
When Kian was younger we used to have 5/6 poss a day but it started to go down to 1-3 poos pre weaning! we appear to b back to 6 again!!! only now they r SSSSSmelly!!!

Hmm.. he's been teething, too. So dunno if the vinegar is teething or BLWing, but I am glad to know it is apparently normal!

Thanks, Ladies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"