Weaning off nipple sheild. Help!

barbikins

Mom to DD (RIP) & DS
Reaction score
I've had to use shields for about three weeks now and I'm ready to ditch them but my Son is so used to it that the wails at the breast if he's not getting it. I've had him latch on well a few times but mostly he just cries.
Anyone else had tongi through this and have some advice?

I used a nipple shield initially with my lo and it took a few weeks to wean it. We did successfully wean it. What worked for us was attempting to latch no shield start of feed for 5 attempts as well as when we switched sides in middle of feed. Sometimes if he came off the middle of one side I could switch the shield out without him noticing too. Latching to start a feed was the last to come. Eventually he just got it. It was a stressful process and took time and persistence. I hated the shield and wanted to wean it as soon as possible.

We had to stay on them for 11 weeks. I wanted to be off them so much earlier. I just started taking it off in the middle of feeds, etc. Nothing clicked not even a little until one night we were lying down all relaxed and he just latched on straight away. Within 3 days we said goodbye to the shield for good. Sometimes you just have to wait until they are ready :flower:

good luck!

I used them from 6 days to 5 months and she just dropped them of her own accord.

I'm still using the shields, I have been since he was about 5 days. Sometimes he will latch without it but not usually. Xxxxx

I know it seems like it, but just keep at it. You're lo will get it eventually

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->