• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Weaning question for formula feeding mommas

Lovn.sunshine

Girl Mom
Reaction score
We've been doing BLW with formula top ups since DD was ~6 months old. She is 11 months tomorrow and every day that passes she seems less and less interested in her bottle and more interested in regular table food and her cup with water. I would like to start weaning her one bottle at a time but was wondering if there are any FF mommas that can share their experiance with weaning off formula? How long did it take, etc?

Tbh we never actively weaned off formula, he just did it himself. I just went by his ques if he wanted a bottle or not and if he didnt show his usual signs of wanting a bottle i didnt make one. (this was from about 7m onwards but it was 9m+ he really started to drop formula) by 10m he only had a morning and bedtime bottle and by 11m he only had a bedtime bottle. At 12m i just switched his nighttime formula to cowsmilk. I just did a straight switch and he took to it fine. It wasnt long before he got rid of that feed completely and just had cows milk as a drink in a cup throughout the day.

We didn't actively wean either. It just happened. If you feed on demand, just offer formula when she's hungry between meals but not if she isn't. If she's eating well during mealtimes, she's likely to be less hungry between meals and will take less and less formula, eventually she won't want it altogether at a particular time or will take so little (maybe an oz or 2) that you might replace that bottle with a snack. In our case, probably around 10 months or so, our daughter wasn't really interested in her mid-morning (about 10am) bottle. She just didn't give hunger cues and would make it to lunchtime without needing it. So we just starting going straight to lunch around 12 and then I'd offer her a bottle after lunch instead. Slowly, she stopped showing interest in a bottle between meals during the day and by about 13/14 months, she was just having the morning one (though by then it was a cup of cow's milk) when she woke up after which we'd have breakfast and then a cup of milk again before bedtime. Around 15 months, she dropped to only a bedtime one and that's what we still do now. If you are keen to encourage her to drop a bottle, you might try adding in a snack at that time and then offering the bottle after. If she's still hungry, she'll take it, if not, she won't. But I think in time, you'll find it just happens on its own as she's eating more and more solids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->