Weaning question

poppy

Mum of Three
Reaction score
When are you all planning on weaning your little ones?

It is so confusing - there is so much advice out there. Books and health visitors advise 6 months - other people include MIL ask me if I am going to start weaning now, especially as Tristan eats so much. I am really confused. Surely 3/4 months is too early. MIL has also said that I could start giving him baby rice soon - what is people's experience with this?

I am confused!!!:headspin:

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you with Poppy. She is a big girl and has always been very hungry and I keep being advised by the "older generation" to wean her early but I know if I ask the HV or the doctor, they will advise otherwise.

Some will say that it is of no benefit to offer a younger baby some baby rice, that it won't help them sleep better and could contribute to digestion and weight problems but others say that it can help to settle a hungry baby. I too am confused so I'll be watching this thread!

x

Thanks Jemima. I am going to see the health visitor on Tuesday, so I will ask her more about it then.

xxx

Caitlyn was always overweight before she was on solids. She's not now.

She started weaning properly at 5 and a half months. Is your LO showing signs?

I am not sure. Some of the 'signs' I have read about (chewing on hand occasionally and waking up more in the night) seem to be consistent with getting ready to teethe. He is putting weight on well. So I am not really sure. Three months seems really early to introduce baby rice. But you know what it is like, when you have a baby, all your relatives seems to have an opinion.

xxx

i may take sum of the jam out of peoples donuts but hey..i giv archie baby rice now with a spoon! and have done for a cupple of days now. he is a very very hungry baby and hungrier baby food just isnt doing enough for him. and alot of people ive spoke to started at 3months and even before.
and he has taken to a spoon very well x

Jasmine has a small bowl of baby rice each evening. It has not affected her in a negatie way at all... she enjoys it and it stays down better then her formula alone.

Jasmine has a small bowl of baby rice each evening. It has not affected her in a negatie way at all... she enjoys it and it stays down better then her formula alone.

its mad i find this too....archie is never sick when he has hes bottle n bowl of rice. x

I personally don't think they should have anything, even rice before 6mo...just breastmilk/formula. It's normal for babies to go through spurts where they eat alot, doesn't mean they need anything else. Really all babies NEED in the first year is breastmilk/formula, they don't have to have solids. But there are lots of reasons you should wait, here is a great site that explains each

https://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

It's too confusing,lol
My LO showed signs that he wanted more food a few weeks before i started weaning him. i started at 4 and half months with 2-3 teaspoons of rice&veggies puree . That's all
the doctor advise me i could start at 4 months but as it's confusing too much i was not sure then,so i waited a couple of weeks

I personally don't think they should have anything, even rice before 6mo...just breastmilk/formula. It's normal for babies to go through spurts where they eat alot, doesn't mean they need anything else. Really all babies NEED in the first year is breastmilk/formula, they don't have to have solids. But there are lots of reasons you should wait, here is a great site that explains each

https://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

there is going thriugh a growth spurt for a few days and then there is wanting 8oz every 2/3hours which is way to much for his stomach to take...this has been consistant for the past month. as he is growing this is becoming not enough for him as he gets used to his intake he wants more. weaning used to be 3months years ago...and me myself aswel as my nephew was weaned very early on and weve turned out just fine. most babies may not NEED anything else bar formula/breastmilk. but they also need to feel satisfyed wen hungry which clearly isnt happening. so sometimes otherthings are required as not every baby is a text book baby x

No your right, not every baby is the same but you can't know they will be fine by giving them that too early. The recommendation has been changed for a reason, if there wasn't a reason they would have left it early...that makes people more money then changing it to 6mo. You can't look at them and say well because of this and this he would be fine on solids, I personally think it's better to wait until the recommended age because you can't take that back if it does cause a problem, what's done is done. There is tons of research now showing how bad it can be and the problems it can cause giving them early. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, opinions were asked and I gave mine and research to back it up

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->