Weaning starting help

luvbunsazzle

Mummy to Rosie
Reaction score
Ok well i need some advice please girls.
Im really struggling with the MIL, 2 weeks ago she decided to inform me she had been giving Rosie jam on her dummy to stop her from crying. I quite firmly asked her not to do this, she had Rosie Friday just gone, to which i was informed yesterday when nipping round she had done the same. Again i said to her if she continued to misuse my guidelines with rgards to Rosie then she wouldnt have her whilst either Mark or i wasn't there. To which she has now informed me, she has brought baby rice and is going to give her it from now on.

She said that Rosie is starving, she said she screams for her milk, and that she needs food.

Here is the problem, i dont know if she needs weaning or not. She doesn't scream with me, or Mark, she sometimes doesnt even finish her milk, she has a 6oz bottle every 4 hours, and has 5 bottles in a day.

Help what shall i do?

If she doesnt scream for you and shes not finishing her milk sometimes id say she doesnt need feeding! My mil said Benn needed feeding when he was 8 weeks! I left him with her for 2 hours whilst we popped out and she took it upon herself to feed him it. He was very poorly and had a terrible tummy ache i was so cross and now i dont trust her with my kids. She never listens to what i say. Your mil is naughty putting jam on her dummy esp as you have asked her not to. Only you really know what your baby needs dont let her force you in to something you dont feel is necessary.

i'm definitely no expert but if she is happily going 4 hours between feeds then i would say she is satisfied with what she is having and doesn't need weaning. has your OH said anything to your MIL? she really needs to start taking you what you say seriously :hugs: xx

i agree, if she's fine with you honey and going that long between meals then she's not ready. i think i would have gone made if, after you've continued saying, no, she's said she's going to give rosie baby rice! i think rosie and you sound like you're doing great honey :hugs: does mil have rosie alot? i can't believe she's going against what you've asked! x

She is having exactly the same that Jacob takes and I dont think he is near needing weaning yet! Its your choice and only you will know when she is ready! I cant believe your MIL is putting you in this situation x

i think the same a the others. She's probaby just playing up for MIL, babies at this age are testing boundaries. If she'll happily go 4 hours and theres no problem with her weight then i'd try and hold off weaning for a bit longer x

It doesnt sound like she "needs" to be weaned at all... You do what your comfortable with, my doctor said 3-4 months is perfectly safe though...

And.... A bit of jam wont hurt her, obviously its your choice and I think your MIL should listen to you.

Certainly doesn't sound as though she's ready to be weaned to me. You do what you think is best and your MIL should respect your wishes

does not sound like she need to be weaned and do not let anyone preasurize you into starting weaning! you her mother will know when she needs to start. and i would not let her give jam on the dummy, it gets them into bad habbits for when she is a bit older and starts to get teeth, it will cause dental decay x

Hi hun, I hvent done the whole weaning thing yet, but it sounds like Rosie is doing just fine with her milk.
I too think MIL is wrong for putting you in this situation and giving the Jam when you asked not to. You'll know when Rosie 'needs' more and is ready. :hugs: x

Sorry but id be SO pissed at my MIL if she did that!

Its completely up to you hun, it doesnt sound like she needs weaning if she's taking what she is at so far apart. But no-one knows her better than you, so its onyl for you to decide XxxX

I'd just simply go "no,we aren't weaning her. You don't listen to me so you aren't getting Rosie alone anymore". Simple as. God how intrerfering can you be? She's your daughter & you decide when/what she eats.

It sounds like she is doing fine on just milk.

I would be soooo pissed if my MIL did that, and she would not be looking after my LO alone again!

WTF! Point me in her direction!!!! How dare she.

Rosie doesnt need weaning by the sounds of it to me, You're completely justified in not letting her look after Rosie. its not up to her, I cant believe she doesnt listen to you

OMG! I would seriously go mad at my mil if she did that even after been told not to

Sounds like se is doing great on just milk, you are her mummy and its up to you when weaning starts

OMG what a nightmare, Mark needs to have serious words with her!!!! You will know when Rosie needs weaning as her milk won't satisfy her anymore. Sounds like she's doing just fine on milk at the moment x

Well, i am now contemplating the whole weaning, im just so AGHHH
Rosie is still having the 6oz bottles every 4 hours, but she clears a bottle now, except at her 4am feed, she'll take as much as she wants, sometime clears it sometimes not. But she is getting really fussy, whining an hour to half an hour before her next feed is due.
Also i have found her constantly eating her hands, ok this is probably down to the fact she is teething more than wanting to eat, but still..
Her sleeping went up in smoke aswel, she use to sleep quite well, but now she wakes throughout the night, i hold off giving her her bottle till 4 at the earliest, but i know she can go longer, she use to go till 6am, every night. So i tried the dreamfeeding, it worked for the first night, but now she has returned to her ways again.

Is it weird that she know's what a spoon is and a cup? I was messing about over the weekend, and had a cup, she tried to grab the cup, and everytime it went near her mouth she opened her mouth to drink from it, also the same with the spoon, she knew exactly what to do with both? Do you think this is normal, or something that maybe the MIL has been doing behind my back?

hmmm, sounds normal to me honey, maddi grabs for everything at rosie's age! i would be very annoyed if i thought my mil had gone behind my back honey, you follow you're own instincts, don't let her push you into what you don't think is right for you and rosie :hugs: x

I would try putting an extra oz or 2 in her bottles before thinking of weaning and seeing if it helps.

obviously its completely you're call, do what you feel is right, and tell your MIL to get stuffed. (sorry thats a bit harsh)

Thanks girl, just gave her a 7oz bottle, i dont want to wean just yet, but i dont want to starve her, so i will see how she goes with a little more milk.

God dont you just hate MIL's she has put so much rubbish in my head

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->