Wearing a big baby?

Mum2b_Claire

Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!
Reaction score
Hi, I've not posted in here before, but figured it was probably the best place to ask this question! :)

Ruby much prefers to be in the carrier than the pushchair, in fact she screams rather a lot in the pushchair but never in the carrier!

However she's nearly 9.5kg. I find it uncomfortable to wear her in the carrier for more than about half an hour. I have the babybjorn active carrier.

Does anyone wear a baby of a similar weight and find it comfortable for longer periods? If so, what sling do you have?

Thanks!
Claire

Hey Claire, can't help much 'cos Freya is a little midget, lol, just wanted to say there are quite a lot of people in here who carry big babies fine! There are so many slings to choose from, many suitable for heavy babies :D. I have a Mei Tai which is meant to be great as babies get older and bigger, it distributes the weight really easily across your back and hips. You can get them with buckles (search for Connecta) which makes it easier. Also, my Baby Bjorn used to kill my back, and that was months ago!

:)

heya hun, i also cant really help much as like Freya Daisy is a teenie tot!! but there are loads of girls who carry bigger babies, i know Lauriech still carries her LO and he is nearly 9months old:) do you know if there are any sling meets near by you? that way you can try out a few different carriers without spending a fortune!!!

i LOVE my Moby and i loved my Baby Hawk but i sold it on as i want a pinker one!LOL but i would defo recommend either of those, however if your LO is v heavy i would probs say a woven wrap rather than a stretchy one like the moby may be better??

i'm sure some of the wearing guru's will be along soon and give out some of their Pearls of wisdom..Scatterpatch, Tezzy and Lauriech :) also check out the Baby Wearing thread that has LOADS of lovely piccies so you can get a llook at loads of them n see what you think you might like etc etc :)

hope that helped a little :kiss:

Sorry I can't be of loads of help, but just wanted to say hi :hi: and that I get mega backache from using the bjorn and Liv is only just 15lb, so I wouldn't say is was because your Ruby is big....it's more the design of the sling, and the points it puts pressure on!

There are tonnes of other styles, and would recommend you tried to see if there is a sling meet near you like sara said....I'm off to my local one next month to try some new types out now my poor back can't cope with the bjorn! One with wider straps might be better to distribute the weight more evenly? xxx

Thanks girls, I suspected it was the bjorn rather than Ruby that was the problem lol! Actually I have found it uncomfortable since Ruby was about 15lb :(

i havent really seen the Bjorn so cant comment but i have the worst back in the world and it has actually gotten loads better since i started wearing Bug :) i would def recommend a Moby / Baby Hawk :D

I must say at 16lbs I found Theakston a bit difficult but I seem to have developed some muscle to cope with it now! I use my connecta and it's great. Sometimes if he's gained a lot of weight all of a sudden or I've not been out in a few days it hurts like hell for the first 5-10mins but then I think your body adjusts to it, it's like wearing a backwards backpack for a hike I guess! Have you tried wearing her on your back? That might be easier.

Hayden is a toddler now and I can still wear him comfortably in our babyhawk, both on front and back but more comfortable on my back. He's 24lbs now

i would deffo suggest a mei tai of some sort, the best ones for wearing big/heavy babies and toddlers are babyhawks/toddlerhawks or melkaj or a connecta .. ive had all of these 4 and i still carry rhys who is 3 in a few weeks xxx

mobys are fab :) Ruby is still smaller, at 18lb but i still dont find it a strain at all.. she feels a lot lighter than in the fixed carrier we have! i think its becasue she is so close to me, its like me being an extra weight, rather than an extra weight hanging off of me... if that makes any sense at all!

i dont think moby wraps are the best as they get bigger they tend to sag under the weight which is really annoying1

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->