Weekly Family Shopping List

Tinylo

Mum to 2 boys
Reaction score
I'm not sure where else to post t his but I'll try in here first.........

This is a big ask I know but I'm really struggling to do the weekly shop for a family of 4 for under £120 :( There's me, dh, ds1 (5) & ds2 (2).

I was hoping that someone who can shop on a tight budget could send me a copy of their weekly shopping list to see where I'm going wrong, get some ideas and help me save some pennies. :hmmm:

The list would include, if any, food (obviosuly), cleaning products, alcohol, nappies and most household toiletries (not makeup).

If anyone has the time and is willing to share I would soooo appreciate it, feel free to pm message if it's easier. :D

We spend around £100 per week for me, OH, Dd (8) DS1 (3) and DS2 (1)

We don't buy alcohol. Nappies we buy tesco or asda own brand they are just as good. Own brand cleaning products (bleach, polish, etc) I don't buy the basic own brand but the next one up.

I've heard Aldi is good for food, I've never been as I don't have one near me but I know a lot of ladies on here do.

Also meal planning and sticking to a set list helps

We go to Aldi, its amazingly cheap for the quality. We spend around 30 a week for two adults, I make all meals from scratch. I don't have kids but I've heard a few people recommend aldi's nappies x

As said before Aldi is great.

We bought a deep chest freezer, and I tend to batch cook-any extra pasta for example get put in the freezer etc. this way, you have more meals for your money and nothing goes to waste.

Keep an eye on what you waste-took me a few months to realise we weren't using enough of certain foods!
Nappies-still buy pampers, but we cut down on them as lo is potty training and wears knickers during day-that equates to roughly £60 saving a year alone.

Alcohol-don't drink

Cleaning products-I love asda disinfectant-it's in a 1 litre bottle and can be used on all surfaces. Only £1:18

Tend to go to the pound shop for some toiletries-love a bargain, and often you can find a good range of decent branded toiletries.

You could also try shopping online with asda-you can see how much your basket is coming to, and adjust it accordingly. Plus they have a price promise thing where they give you money back. We got a £5 voucher this week.

Xx

Meat:
3 for £10
Extra Lean Steak Mince
5 Chicken breast fillets
Extra Lean steak pieces
A whole Chicken
5 Pork chops
6 steak burgers
TOTAL £20 In local Eurospar

Meal Plans for dinners help and meat pack being frozen help me loads, I get fruit and veg from Aldi and Lidil

Monday
Spaghetti bolignese

Tuesday
Pork chops with mashed sweet potato, sautéed onions and gravy

Wednesday
Irish Stew

Thursday
Chilli

Friday
Burgers and slimming world chips

Saturday
Chicken curry with rice and slimming world chips

Sunday
Roast chicken with all the trimmings

I get paid every 4 weeks. So at the first of the month I go to Asda or Tesco (if I have vouchers). I buy usually 3-4 large boxes of the store brand cereal--rice krispies, weetabix, etc., 2 lots of the 3 for £10 meats and divide it up and freeze it, a bag or two of Cow & Gate porridge for LO, maybe a box of Organix bars if they're on sale and a pack of two or fruit pots as he has those in his weetabix, and milk for us and LO. I also buy the own brand bags of frozen mushrooms and peppers to add to sauces.

Then I go to Aldi and usually our weekly shop includes fruit/veggies, cheese, yogurt, bread, cat food/litter, cleaning products and toilet paper/kitchen paper, etc, nappies, wipes, apple juice as LO has it diluted, pasta, various sauces for cooking and ketchup, brown sauce, etc.

I spent probably about £50 at the Asda/Tesco shop at the beginning of the month and probably £30-£40 once a week at Aldi. With the occasional stop off for extra milk which I've stopped buying at Aldi as I find it goes off quick. I can usually manage about £200-£225 a month for two adults, one toddler, my SS who is here every 2nd weekend (teenage boy!) and a cat.

ETA--we don't drink very much. DH may buy a case of beer and a case of koppaberg cider for me once a month and he buys his own coffee as he drinks Douwe Egberts. But we don't drink juice ourselves, rarely have diluting juice.

I spend around £50-£60 a week for me, OH, DS (5) and DD(1). Buying mince I can make several meals from a couple of boxes, like spag bol, burgers, meatballs, cottage pie. I buy own brand everything apart from shampoo as OH has to use head and shoulders. I buy nappies on offer so only buy them every other week. Planning the weeks meals ahead definitely helps xx

what kind of meals do you eat

A usual week consists of roast, fish fingers, spag bol, pizza & pasta, omelette, sausages, kebabs/curry (homemade), chicken nuggets, lasagne.
I batch cook where possible but find I don't have time to spend as I work 4 days a wk and get home at 5.15 and oh gets in at 7!!

I get paid every 4 weeks. So at the first of the month I go to Asda or Tesco (if I have vouchers). I buy usually 3-4 large boxes of the store brand cereal--rice krispies, weetabix, etc., 2 lots of the 3 for £10 meats and divide it up and freeze it, a bag or two of Cow & Gate porridge for LO, maybe a box of Organix bars if they're on sale and a pack of two or fruit pots as he has those in his weetabix, and milk for us and LO. I also buy the own brand bags of frozen mushrooms and peppers to add to sauces.

Then I go to Aldi and usually our weekly shop includes fruit/veggies, cheese, yogurt, bread, cat food/litter, cleaning products and toilet paper/kitchen paper, etc, nappies, wipes, apple juice as LO has it diluted, pasta, various sauces for cooking and ketchup, brown sauce, etc.

I spent probably about £50 at the Asda/Tesco shop at the beginning of the month and probably £30-£40 once a week at Aldi. With the occasional stop off for extra milk which I've stopped buying at Aldi as I find it goes off quick. I can usually manage about £200-£225 a month for two adults, one toddler, my SS who is here every 2nd weekend (teenage boy!) and a cat.

ETA--we don't drink very much. DH may buy a case of beer and a case of koppaberg cider for me once a month and he buys his own coffee as he drinks Douwe Egberts. But we don't drink juice ourselves, rarely have diluting juice.

This was really helpful, thanks. Didn't think of buying frozen veggies to put in sauces, definitely give that a try, and maybe drag my two ds round aldi on Thursday as in off!

what kind of meals do you eat

A usual week consists of roast, fish fingers, spag bol, pizza & pasta, omelette, sausages, kebabs/curry (homemade), chicken nuggets, lasagne.
I batch cook where possible but find I don't have time to spend as I work 4 days a wk and get home at 5.15 and oh gets in at 7!!

Have you tried a slow cooker?

I can put a casserole/spag Bol / chilli in first thing in the morning and its ready for when were home. You can double up as well to freeze it. I never bother frying it off as I can't be arsed, just whack it all in... Takes minutes!

We shop at Aldi and love it. Usually around £45/£50
We have a list on the fridge that whenever something runs out or running low we write on, for basics like milk marg etc, to avoid waste.
We also open all the meats and separate and bag them, then put in the freezer so again nothing goes to waste, it also helps with portion control. If we don't think we gonna eat veg or that in the fridge that week, we will make into soup/ casserole etc and freeze it. Also means there are quick easy means in the freezer for when we busy or lazy to cook lol

I have got a slow cooker, rarely used! Have to search some good recipes and then I can do huge portions with minimal fuss and save some dosh. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->