weight gain/calorie intake confusion

pirate1974

Reaction score
So i've gained 3 lbs and i'm 16 weeks. My doc doesn't seem concerned. I started at a normal healthy weight, my BMI was 23 before i was pregnant. As a result of my PCOS i would typically only eat 1400 calories a day, doesn't sound like a lot to someone who doesn't have a hormonally challenged metabolism but for me that is where my body doesn't gain weight. However, now i'm well into a pregnancy and when I asked my doctor should I add 300 calories a day, she said just keep eating like your'e eating.... my concern is that all charts say I'm 2 pounds under the normal weight gain at this far along in the pregnancy. I eat super healthy, never eat pasta or bagels or bread and really limit my sugars from cookies, cakes etc. This is how Ive had to eat for PCOS, but now i'm worried it's what I need to eat to pack on pounds and i'm not! Arrrgggh. Anyone else not gain a lot by week 16!

At my last appointment, almost 23 weeks, my official weight gain was 2 lbs. My starting weight was in the normal range for my height. Baby is growing just fine and I'm eating plenty so the doctor isn't worried. My last pregnancy was the complete opposite. I don't think 3 lbs at 16 weeks is an issue, but if you continue not to gain I would try adding a little more food. Every pregnancy has different weight gain patterns and it's likely your body will catch up later.

An extra salad or large serving of fruit can be an extra 300 calories. I wouldn't start eating things you know are not good for your body just to gain some weight! That being sais I wish I had some self control when it comes to what I eat! Lol

Typically, you don't need the extra 300 calories until towards the end of 2nd Tri and into 3rd Tri. Some women naturally gain 60 lbs during pregnancy (eating healthy & exercising!) and some women only gain 15-20.

I would just keep eating the way you normally do, and if you get hungry on top of that then add something. But don't eat extra calories if you're not hungry! Your doctor will tell you when it becomes a concern. :flower:

I'm 20 weeks and am 3 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight.... Until this week, was 6 lbs under.

I'm almost 14 weeks and have lost a couple of pounds. It'll come though, my doctor said he won't get on me about not gaining until I hit 20 weeks.

In my experience, your body will typically tell you when you need to eat more, by making you feel hungry. If you're eating 1400 calories a day, and you don't feel hungry in between meals, then you're probably fine. But if you're feeling hungry, eat a little snack. I got up to 18 weeks with just eating normal and not feeling hungry, but then all of the sudden I couldn't go more than 2 hours without feeling starving! So now I eat a little more often, because I figure my body is telling me that it needs more, so I'll give it some more. :flower:

ive lost a kilo since got preg due ms i dnt mind as i was bordering on my units limit( unit dosent handle high risk etc) i thought pastas good for us. But dnt no anything about pcos(whtever tht is) i was slighlty bigger at booking this preg than i was at both prev pregs.

I don't weigh myself but I don't think I will have gained by my 16 week appointment as I'm deffo not eating enough :-( I'm starting to get worried but don't know how to eat more... im eating way less than I used to :-( xx

I agree with the others, don't worry too much about it. Eat when you're hungry and eat what you normally eat. Your baby will take what it needs from you and later on if you start to feel more hungry or not satisfied after your normal meal, eat more.

One thing that caught me by surprise after I had my DD was that I was literally ravishingly hungry while breastfeeding/pumping. Then I really upped what I was eating because I was so starving all the time. The point is, your body will tell you if it needs more food!

I thought I was doing good with the weight gain too but my official gain at this appointment was only 3 lbs and the doc was not concerned at all. I am overweight to begin with so that prob had a lot to do with it my home scale says 6 lbs so thats what I am really going by but I have trouble with my appetite. I seriously have no cravings and can not stand to be full, I just feel gross when I'm full so I have to make an effort to get in even the 1500-1700 calories I'm used to. The nurse practictioner suggested adding butter and not so healthy things for my 300 calories if I really felt like I had to but in all reality baby will take what she needs from me regardless.

Oh and the acid reflux does NOT help at all. Currently avoiding all foods with red/orange sauce ugh...tums here I come

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->