Weight gain, how much?

immy11

Reaction score
I just read that 1-1.5kg is normal weight gain for the first three months! Omg I've already gained almost 6kg and I'm only 13 weeks. I was very sick during the first tri and unlike so many woman who can't eat and lose weight, I couldn't stop eating McDonald's, KFC, and burger rings 😭
I feel horrible, how much weight have you gained?

These are both in pounds but I like them because...
This one gives you a weekly breakdown
https://www.babymed.com/tools/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator-by-week

This one gives you a graph
https://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy-weight-gain-estimator

Just keep in mind how much you gain is really about you and your baby's needs, so these are just guidelines and not hard and fast rules. Your not supposed to gain much if anything first tri because you don't actually need extra calories yet and your baby is super small, but my gyn said up to 3 lbs (1-1.5 kg) is fine. Then roughly 1lb a week thereafter. By 17 weeks, I gained 5lbs (just over 2kg). I'm hoping to only gain 11-15kg, and I am at 9.5. My cousin gained over 40 lbs by the time she delivered at 37 weeks (18kg) and lost the large majority of it within a week of birth. But she knew her O date and her son came out quite large and 3 weeks early. I know 37 at one point was considered full term so not the end of the world. But it does sound like you gained a lot because of your diet, so I know it sucks but I would cut down on fast food. Not only is it going to increase your weight gain and risks associated with it, it provides very little nutritional value for you and your developing baby. Definitely use it as a treat than a staple. Sorry for mothering you.

I gained a lot first trimester. 10 pounds I think. I was worried about it because the doctor said 3-4 was normal.

My problem was that I didn't get morning sickness or nauseous AT ALL. I just got super hungry. Like crazy hungry. I was working out almost everyday, but it didn't make a difference.

Luckily once 2nd trimester hit, my appetite died way down and I have been the same weight from 12 weeks -- 15 weeks. I may have even lost a pound. I am still working out, but not as much as first trimester. I switched from 5-6 days a week to 4. Finding myself more tired.

So for me, just because you gain a lot first trimester doesn't mean you will 2nd trimester.

No idea about 3rd yet! We will see!

Update: I meant to add, the doctors haven't been worried at all about my weight gain. Part of it is what BMI you were starting with. Mine was considered "normal" so I guess that's why they aren't concerned. I really think that you body is "smart" has a good idea about what you need. They tend to self regulate pretty well.

I have also gained 10 lbs by 12 weeks and I am eating completely junk. My dr told me just to eat whatever I could stomach and we would worry about nutrition during my second trimester... at 14 weeks I am still struggling with eating healthy however my appetite has slowed down and I am no longer drinking high calorie drinks such as Gatorade in the afternoon like I was the first trimester.

I just want to add though I have known ladies who gain 40-60 lbs with singletons and end of day their babies are fine and they are fine. So don't make yourself sick over it and enjoy your pregnancy <3

I gained 57 lbs. with my first, 52 lbs. with my second, 65 lbs. with my third and am already up 32 lbs. with this baby. My doctor was happy because the weight was consistent. They only get concerned if you gain like 6 lbs. in a month whereas you previously only gained a half pound a week (sorry... I'm no good with kgs lol) because this can signal GD or pre-e.

I always gain loads and generally start out not that big! 3-4 stone gain each time so far..
this time i'm nearly 21 weeks and I'm up 1.75 stone which annoys me as I have a small appetite this time &#128563;

These are both in pounds but I like them because...
This one gives you a weekly breakdown
https://www.babymed.com/tools/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator-by-week

This one gives you a graph
https://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy-weight-gain-estimator

Just keep in mind how much you gain is really about you and your baby's needs, so these are just guidelines and not hard and fast rules. Your not supposed to gain much if anything first tri because you don't actually need extra calories yet and your baby is super small, but my gyn said up to 3 lbs (1-1.5 kg) is fine. Then roughly 1lb a week thereafter. By 17 weeks, I gained 5lbs (just over 2kg). I'm hoping to only gain 11-15kg, and I am at 9.5. My cousin gained over 40 lbs by the time she delivered at 37 weeks (18kg) and lost the large majority of it within a week of birth. But she knew her O date and her son came out quite large and 3 weeks early. I know 37 at one point was considered full term so not the end of the world. But it does sound like you gained a lot because of your diet, so I know it sucks but I would cut down on fast food. Not only is it going to increase your weight gain and risks associated with it, it provides very little nutritional value for you and your developing baby. Definitely use it as a treat than a staple. Sorry for mothering you.

Yes I totally understand this but it was crappy food or nothing I was very very sick. Now I'm better I'm eating healthy, just wanted to see if anyone else had been through the same thing. With my first pregnancy I gained the normal amount and lost it all plus more very quickly with walking, clinical Pilates and eventually the gym. Even with the weight gain I'm still a healthy bmi

Yeah honestly it will even out like the others say :). Especially now that you're feeling better. Nothing to stress about :) I generally go with if it doesn't worry my doctor then it doesn't worry me lol

I gained 49 lbs during my pregnancy, well over what I "should" have. I lost 36 in 2 weeks. So 13 lbs to lose to get to prepregnancy weight. I wasn't happy about all the weight but it's obvious my body would do what it wants, not everyone follows the exact guidelines and it's not the end of the world.

I'm at 16 weeks and have lost about 5kg but I'm overweight to start with and in addition to "morning" sickness I've had gastro and the flu!

I've gained roughly 20 pounds so far with 12 weeks to go. I'll probably have gained close to 35-40 by the end. I gained 35 total with my first. I think it's so different for everyone and also depends on your starting weight. It's normal and healthy for some people to gain much more than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->