Weight gain!

Kittique

Reaction score
What's the best exercise to do for fat loss? I've been on 1000 diets before in my life and never lost a pound apart from once when I lost 3 1/2 stone. The only way I could do this was eating no more than 800 calories a day and walking in the morning and evening 5 days a week for 30 min each. The weight came off in 10 weeks. ...3 years later i've put on 1.5 stone of this (a stone when I was pregnant, but only got to 3 months with twins). I've been to the gym before and saw no difference in my weight but decided to try again and lo and behold it's happening again! I've been to the gym 4 times per week for the last 3 weeks and i've GAINED 4lbs!!!!!! I know the whole muscle thing, but i don't want to gain any muscle. What's the most effective way to just lose the fat? I'm eating plenty this time around 1300-1500 calories per day.

I'm terrified if I keep going to the gym i'll just keep gaining and gaining?

Every time I look at the scales i've gone up and it's bloody terrifying!
xx

Only ever drink water, don't like tea/coffee or fizzy drinks.

I'm vegetarian so don't eat meat. I mostly eat veggies, salad, sweet potato, hummus, rice cakes with salsa, stuffed mushrooms, tofu stir fry, the occasional bit of choc, spinach/mushroom omlette without the egg yolk in, quorn sausages, beans, lots of tomatoes.

I thought that was ok :(

That all sounds perfect to be honest.

Before you put calories up, was you still on low calorie intake of below 1200?

Could just be rebound off that, your body need to realise your going to start giving it what it needs on daily basis so that gain should fall back off when get body clock ticking again.

Best way lose fat without gain of muscle is just cardio, or HIIT (Google that) 30mins at a time, going for to long session of cardio is bit wouldnt say pointless but longer you go less effect it can become.

no, before this i was eating 2000 or more a day. oops.

ooh, that's interesting, so it's best to keep it shorter? I'm going to experiment the next 2 weeks with just fast walking and jogging on the treadmill and see what effect that has.

I did think maybe its because I chop and change so much at the gym, 15min cycle, 20 min cross trainer, 15 min walk, 10min weights etc...

no, before this i was eating 2000 or more a day. oops.

ooh, that's interesting, so it's best to keep it shorter? I'm going to experiment the next 2 weeks with just fast walking and jogging on the treadmill and see what effect that has.

I did think maybe its because I chop and change so much at the gym, 15min cycle, 20 min cross trainer, 15 min walk, 10min weights etc...

If dont want to gain muscle, dont do any weights.

Yeah deffo, give things a go in different ways, see what works, but certainly dont give up!

I find circuit training has been great way of losing my fat :D

I only really do arm weights for the bingo wings!

Circuit training seems scary, i remember it from school as it was always soooo hard. There's a class at my gym.....might try it out :wacko:

Sure I was told weights don't shift it.
Cardio what burns the fat off, then weights tone and bulid the muscles.
If got. wii or xbox I used biggest loser game, its fab helped me a lot.

Yep, HIIT is the key to fast fat loss. Its flippin hard work but worth it.
I did HIIT last night. I did a 5 minute warm up jog followed by 30 second sprints at about 90% effort (with 60 second rests in between). The rests can either be a slow jog or a walk. I did 9 repetitions.

High intensity cardio/body weight exercises (press ups, squats, burpees, mountain climbers etc) is great for fat loss. However, the more muscle mass you have, the more efficient your body will be at burning fat, so I wouldn't rule weights out at all. Plus, if you just do cardio, you could end up looking 'skinny fat' with not much muscle tone.
I'm a veggie too. My typical day is:
B: porridge with soya milk & agave nectar
S: almonds
D: salad/home-made soup
S: rice cakes & cashew/almond butter
T: veggie chilli/curry/ratatouille/omelette etc
S: soya yoghurt or sometimes a protein bar if I've been training

I train six times a week. I do:
M: 45 minute bootcamp class
T: kettlebell/body weight circuit
W: 45 minute bootcamp class & 1hr kickboxing class
T: run (anywhere between 4-6m normally)
F: kettlebell
S: day off
S: run

I hope this helps :)
Good luck xx

weight are not going to bulk you up with muscle unless you are taking anabolic steroids!

women do not have enough testosterone to build significant muscle mass

you will not have gained 4 lb of muscle in the 4 weeks going to the gym, more likely fluid retention or not watching what you are eating
(weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise)

as mentioned above, weights WILL help weight loss!! but second the idea of HIIT!

x

Agree with ILS

More muscle = body using more calories even when resting = more weight loss!

Also as above.. Women cant really get massive muscles like men can easily.. It would take more than a few gym workouts anyway.

I think HIIT is great for weight loss.. I was doin this unintentionally a few yrs ago when i used to go to the gym n lost 1.5 stone in 8 weeks! Then jus so happened to google best cardio workout for weight loss n it turned out i was already doing it!

Also make sure u eat enough cals..

what kind of workout at the gym would you recommend? what were u doing sept2010? if u dont mind explaining to me!

thanks x

I agree with the two OP's about weight training being good for weight loss. Cardio/HIIT is great as it burns fat while you are exercising, but muscle mass leaves you burning more calories while you sit on your couch.

Don't worry about looking too muscular, you would have to work very very hard with the weights to even try to look bigger/muscular. Weights usually just leave women looking more toned.

IMO the perfect combination for good fat loss is healthy diet (preferably a clean diet - Google it if you haven't heard of this), HIIT at least three to four times a week for 30mins minimum each session, and weight training a few times a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->