Weight in pregnancy

MishC

Has a little princess!!
Reaction score
I have seen lots of different posts on this in this tri so I know a lot of people experience different things.

I understand some ladies have gained only 2 or 3lbs by the time they're 18 weeks but other ladies have gained 2 stone.

I was gaining weight fairly quickly just as I did with my daughter but in the last month I have come to a stand still. I haven't gained a single lbs in fact I've lost a couple of lbs. I would normally just shrug this off and see it as a positive but surely I shouldn't just stop gaining weight? I understand it can slow down but actually stop and then lose just doesn't seem normal.

Anyone else experienced this?

I gained probably 4 lbs right off the bat, and then I turned around and lost about 20 lbs by the time I hit 2nd Tri. (I was overweight to begin with, though)

Everyone is different... but I know that within my group of friends, most of us didn't start consistently gaining weight until around the 20 weeks mark. You'll probably start seeing it move again in the next few weeks. If you're really concerned, ask your doctor... but it's probably fine as long as you're eating healthy and such. :flower:

I should probably point out I was slim before I was pregnant. I am 5ft 4" and i weighed 8 stone I had a BMI of 19.

As your BMI was only 19 pre-pregnancy I would speak to your midwife - don't think it's any thing to worry about but it's best to err on side of caution.

Personally I'm lighter than I was when I got pregnant - lost a lot in first tri due to sickness and only slowly putting it back, but my BMIs much higher so it's not an issue for me.

I imagine its perfectly fine but it is ticking in the back of my mind. I imagine I should be gaining weight throughout the pregnancy because there wasn't much their to start with.

Don't forget that average weekly gain is an average. I've read on this and other boards that some woman don't start putting on weight until the third trimester.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum struggling to keep weight gain down to 1 pound a week. Instead of focusing on weight, I'm trying to focus on health by staying active and eating good foods.

I called my hospital just to check. They asked me a series of questions and said at the moment they're not to concerned but if i'm still he same in 2 weeks then I need to be seen.

I told them I can feel LO moving and I don feel poorly and i'm eating well so I think everything should be ok.

With my previous pregnancy, I only gained 10 lbs throughout my pregnancy. My bmi was already on the low end and at 38 weeks, I even lost 2 lbs.

Anyhow, I had my baby girl at 40+2 weeks and she weighed 7lb9oz.

On the other hand, my sister had gained 40 lbs throughout her pregnancy. She had a health bmi prepregancy. and had her baby at full term weighing 6lb2oz.

Therefore, I do not think total weight gain is a good indicator of how big your baby is. You still have a long way to go and if the doctor isnt concerned, I wouldnt be either.

It might be worth you calorie counting for a week to check you eat enough, maybe add some healthy fats in?
Xx

I know of some women who gained everything all in the first or second tri, and then really stabilized out and didn't gain much more the last few months. I wouldn't worry. There's nothing that says you need to weigh yourself all the time either. I would just rely on what the doctor says when they weigh you when you go in for visits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->