Weight issues and pregnancy? thoughts?

Lisa2701

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm Lisa and i'm new here. I currently have a 5 year old boy who is the center of my universe. My husband and i have wanted another baby for a few years now however problems with my health (which are now under control), and the fact that we were having development issues with our son (diagnosed with hi functioning autism recently) has led to us holding off. However, we have now decided that we would love to go ahead and have baby number two, and i'm estatic!! My only concern is that i carry a lot of extra weight. I was about a size 20 when i had my son and had a great pregnancy and labour, no real complcations, but i've now crept up to about a size 24. I am concerned that perhaps my weight will cause complications, problems with labour and even how i will be judged by midwifes and doctors? my weight is THEE only concern i have about falling pregnant, and i am currently in the midst of loosing weight (1 stone so far). I did however book myself in to get my contraceptive implanon removed this morning, so got 5 weeks now till that comes out.... so after all that my question is..... what are your thoughts, and more so if anyone has experiences of pregnancy as a bigger woman?

Thanks Lisa xxx

Didn't want to read and run hun. :hugs:

I'm afraid I'm the opposite, I'm very small and trying to pack the weight on. So I'm afraid I can't offer much help there :blush: But you said you had no complications with your other pregnancy, so fingers crossed this one remains no different. The only implications I am aware of are blood pressure problems/diabeties but if you have never suffered with this then I can't see it as a potential problem. Every pregnancy is different, and there are always the risks of complications no matter what your background/size, as long as you are checked on regularly I wouldn't worry too much!

Doctors/widwives are only there to advise not to judge, I'm sure they have seen all sorts of things! :haha:

Hope this helps :blush:

hey hun, I have been worrying about this for ages but just haven't lost any weight and so we are just getting on with it now. I know that if I get pregnant I won't hesitate in eating more healthily and ensure I get all the nutrients the baby will need, so I think I will be in a better situation. I am worried about how I will be treated by the professionals but I will just have to deal with it if/when the time comes.

When I first joined BnB I started a thread about it in the pregnancy section. I will see if I can find it as I found it really helpful xx

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-club/110453-overweight-pregnancy.html

here you go xx

Thank you both for such quick replies. I really aprreciate them, and bunnyg82 the thread you gave me is great, haven't the time to read from start to finish but will be sure to come abck when i have more time, but of what i've read its already making me feel a LOT better about things.

Thanks

Lisa xx

Hey there and welcome to BnB. I'm not quite sure how sizes and weight transfers as I am an American and I think things are different. I also struggle with my weight a bit. I'd like to drop a few pounds before TTC but I don't feel a professional has any right to judge you. I agree with Plutosblue as far as the health concerns but like she said if you have already been pg I don't think those will be an issue. I like you think I will be healthier when I'm pg (although I'm fairly healthy now). But anyway I've rambled on enough.... hope this some what helped or is atleast entertaining lol :blush:

Hey hun,

Women have babies at all different sizes and the majority of which seem to be healty. I was a 16 when I fell pregnant with Edan and I'm currently an 18. There is no rhyme or reason for why he went to sleep, but for myself I feel that I want to get slimmer and healthier before we consider trying again. I don't really think it has any effect other than they pregnancy being more physically demanding on you, so no reason to wait. Just personal preference I guess.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

Thankls for your reply stoneswife and drazic. I have to thank you for your replies as everyone really has helped me to feel more comfortable with ttc despite my weight. As said before i have lost a stone so far, and infact lost another 2lbs since my original post so things are on there way down lol, but looking up lol( its amazing what a REAL insentive can do to help you loose weight). I've got another 2.5 weeks to go till i start ttc, but i will just keep with the weightloss till i get my BFP. My theory is... If i can loose 1.5 - 2 stone then when i gain it back through pregnancy i will only be back to where i am and not putting too much extra strain on my body. I really didn't gain too much weight with my first pregnancy despite being MASSIVE and just hope i don't 2nd time round either....although you know whats going to happen now i've said that don't you ? lol

Anyway thanks again for your kind replies

Lisa xx

You will be fabulous sweetheart, if your overall health is good there is nothing to worry about. Good luck for when you start ttc :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->