Weight issues - i'm so confused!

clairec81

Reaction score
Hi everyone, as many of you will know my LO has always been 'small' and has put on weight slowly. She isn't much of a milk drinker and is on high cal milk but is being weaned and has taken to solids really well. It was something that i worried so much about at the beginning, buying lots of different teats and bottles, sitting in dark rooms, not looking at her while she fed and practically force feeding her. Anyway when none of that made a difference i began to see that she was her own little person and i fighting a loosing battle. Her consultant also seemed to understand that at last and simply said she's going to be small - after everything she's been through that's the least of my worries! Anyway she's now 7 1/2 months and gets weighed every two weeks by my HV. Yesterday she weighed in at 11lb 2oz (only gained 5 oz in 2 weeks), i was ok with this but HV started on about poor weight gain and underlying issues. She said i should contact her consultant and dietician and she basically really upset me. She commented on her falling further from the last centile (0.4) and when i showed her the low birth weight chart from WHO she said best go with red book as this was where she has been plotted since the beginning. On the WHO chart she's between the -3 and -4 curve and maintains her own wee curve. I'm starting back work on Monday and i'd finally got to a point where i felt more relaxed and now i'm so stressed again - any advice or stories please - need so good advice!

Unfortunately a lot of health visitors think preemies should follow the same pattern as fullterm babies and they rarely do. If the consultant is happy then try not to worry and as you say she is following her own curve which is really what they should be looking at. My lo at times has only put on around 3oz in a week but I am lucky and seem to have one of the few hv that understand preemies and she is happy as long as she is gaining weight and not losing it.

If you have any concerns then I would speak to your consultant but from the sounds of it your lo is happy & healthy and just petite.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE HEALTH VISITOR!!!

Seriously its about time this issue with health visitors and preemies were looked into!
Health Visitors pretend to know what they're doing when it comes to preemies, when in reality they are expecting adjusted age standards. And we all know preemies do their own thing. It took a while for my HV to accept Alex was just little too, but she does now.

My HV has currentley gone AWOL. Which im not sure is a good thing or not, but im certainly stressing less because I trust the hospital way over her!

Ignore your HV and just listen to your consultant.

If there is something to worry about your consultant and dietician will tell you. If they say don't worry then don't worry :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->