Weight loss after delivery

laceyinthesky

Reaction score
So I'm sitting here being really bummed about having gained about 35 pounds already with 8 weeks to go. I'm already looking forward to getting the extra pounds off!

What I was wondering was, from those of you who've had babies already, how much weight did you all lose right after giving birth or like a week after?

For each of my pregnancies I lost 20 lbs within a few days of giving birth. Granted, I put on 45 for each so that last 20-25 was more of a challenge!

With my first pregnancy, I gained 27 lbs total, and was down 15 lbs by about a week. ( My baby weighed close to 9 lbs at birth). I lost all the rest of it plus 4 more pounds by the time my baby was 3 months old. I don't think it's typical, I think about 6-9 months is more realistic to be back to pre pregnancy weight. ( I nursed so that may have made a difference? I don't know) anyhow, that's my input. It's depressing because I've gained 25 already and I'm only 31 wks..... Uh, I don't know how I did it the first pregnancy! Oh well, what can ya do :) I'm guessing I will take the 6-9 months to get this weight off this time around!

Gained 30 with first pregnancy and after leaving hospital I lost 20. I wouldn't worry too much. Lots is water weight. I ended up 15 lbs lighter then pre preg weight by 5 months post partum. I breastfed and that helps a lot.

About 20lbs the first week, and then lost about 10 more in the next few weeks once my belly got back to normal. With nursing and eating better I lost like 45 by the time baby was 3 months.

I was lucky with my 1st. I put on 19lb and lost it within 6wks (if not before - that was the first time on the scales). BUT... I was smaller to begin with then. I'm bigger this time around, obviously older, and not as fit. I have a feeling that i will have a bit more work to do this time around. Breastfeeding really really helps the weight come off. I would try not to worry. The way I look at it is, it took us 9months to put this weight on, so in theory we should get 9months to loose it.

I lost 28lb within a couple of weeks (first time I weighed myself) but I lost my appetite and was breastfeeding so shouldn't have lost quite so much!

I lost about 20 lbs in the first 2 weeks (id gained a total of 42 lbs) and he was 4 weeks early :-/ I lost a further 14 lbs in the next 2 months... Then got pregnant again when baby was 6 months. I've not gained as much this time round... But there's still time!

I lost 22lb in the first 4 days, I only gained that much so I left the hospital lighter than when I got pregnant.

I gained 42 lbs first pregnancy - gained most in first and second tri (actually lost a couple pounds in third) - and lost 20 lbs the first week, and over the next 6 months I was back to prepregnancy weight. I exclusively bf'ed and took a mama and baby bootcamp once I recovered.

Don't worry - you will lose it if you want to and try!

With Both babies I lost about half in the first month, then lost it all by 4-5 months pp. Many people will say they lost alot as soon as they gave birth, but don't stress if you don't. Both babies I left the hospital two days after birth weighing MORE than before I had them! Both times after birth I had complications (hemmoraging and dehydration) and required iv's and some other meds, which caused me to retain water for the first several days. And when my milk comes in, it comes IN, causing my chest at 3 days pp to swell like watermelon. But that all calms down in a week or so and I think the breastfeeding really helps as well.

Oh I'm so jealous of you all! When I weighed myself a week or so after having DS I'd lost 13lb (which was crap, he was 9lb 15oz so I must have only lost his weight plus the placenta and fluid :(). I lost about 10lb by the time he was 1, but as soon as I stopped breastfeeding I lost the rest, I lost 1 stone in a few weeks.

I gained about 9 or 10kg and lost it all by about 3 or 4 weeks pp. I think it was a lot to do with breastfeeding. But everyone's different, I think 6 months is realistic.

Thanks, everyone! I do plan on breastfeeding so hopefully that will help, too!

I gained 35 pounds with my first and had lost it all within 2 weeks. I lost 14 pounds between the time I walked into the hospital with broken waters and the time I gave birth, even though they kept pumping me with IV fluids. I BFed and my weight stayed constant because I was eating lots. Once I stopped breastfeeding, my hormones got really messed up. I started gaining weight like crazy until the hormone levels went back to normal. But, when they went back to normal, my baby was 7 months old and I got pregnant right away. My sister gained 35 pounds and breastfed for the same amount of time I did. She's still losing the weight, but at least for her, it didn't just start piling on because of hormonal imbalances like it did with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->