weight while pregnant

A

amandadixey3

Just looking for some advise atm im currently 27 weeks pregnant and have put on just under a stone, just wondering if theres anything you can do to keep weight gain to a minimum without harming your baby obv, really gets to me putting weight on as i put sooooo much on with 1st child (8st to 12 and a half sobbb). . . sounds really selfish but any advise would be appreciated xx

I am 35 weeks and I count calories.

This is a bit of a long read but it can help you. Basically, you figure out the normal amount of calories your body needs to "maintain". In your 3rd trimester, you should be eating 500 calories in addition to that.

For me, at 5'5 and original weight of 123lbs (now 153lbs at 35 weeks), I eat about 2,500 calories per day. I've been gaining the proper amount of 1lb per week.

First Step: Calculating Your Basal Metabolic Rate

Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) simply means the amount of energy used by your body during a 24-hour period if no activity is performed. In other words, if you're inactive for 24-hours straight, you'd still "burn" the amount of calories equivalent to your BMR.

Your BMR is a function of your size, sex, and age. It's also influenced by your metabolic status (hypo or hyperthyroid state for example). We can calculate BMR with the following formulas (by Harris-Benedict):

For Women

BMR = 655 + (9.6 x weight in kg) + (1.7 x height in cm) - (4.7 x age)

So for a 28 year old figure girl of 132lbs (60kg) at 5'6" (165cm) it comes up to:

BMR = 655 + (9.6 x 60kg) + (1.7 x 165cm) – (4.7 x 2

BMR = 1380 calories per day

Second Step: Factoring in activity level

The amount of calories found using the Harris-Benedict formula is what your body burns every day, even if you do nothing all day. Obviously, the more active you are the more you'll burn fuel. So, energy expenditure will be increased when your activity level goes up.

To get an adequate estimation you need to multiply your BMR by an activity level factor:

1.0 Sedentary

1.2 Very light activity

1.4 Light activity

1.6 Moderate activity

1.8 High activity

2.0 Extreme activity

By sedentary we mean doing nothing all day (sleeping and watching TV).

By very light activity we mean doing nothing physical. Working a desk job or on a computer and not performing any type of physical activity during your day.

By light activity we mean having a non-physical job (desk, computer, etc.) but performing some sort of physical activity during the day (e.g. above average walking) but no hard training.

By moderate activity we mean having a non-physical job, performing some sort of physical activity during the day, and including a daily workout session in your routine. This is where most of you are at.

By high activity we mean either training plus a physical job or non-physical job and twice-a-day training sessions.

By extreme activity we mean a very physical job and daily hard training.

So if our 220 pound bodybuilder with a BMR of 2122 calories/day is moderately active, his daily energy expenditure is bumped up to 2122 x 1.6 = 3395 calories per day. This is the amount of food to consume to maintain present body weight.

Third Step: Adjusting caloric intake to your goal
*** +500 calories for 3rd trimester

thanks hun i just worked mine out and its just over 2700 calories WOW def not eating that amount, you said you've been eating about 2500 a day what is a rough daily meal plan for you, sorry about all the questions x

Hey no problem :)

Here's my journal, it has my meal plans in it.

https://www.babyandbump.com/dieting-weight-loss-fitness/315559-aliss-6-week-challenge-journal.html

I am 35 weeks and I count calories.

This is a bit of a long read but it can help you. Basically, you figure out the normal amount of calories your body needs to "maintain". In your 3rd trimester, you should be eating 500 calories in addition to that.

For me, at 5'5 and original weight of 123lbs (now 153lbs at 35 weeks), I eat about 2,500 calories per day. I've been gaining the proper amount of 1lb per week.

First Step: Calculating Your Basal Metabolic Rate

Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) simply means the amount of energy used by your body during a 24-hour period if no activity is performed. In other words, if you're inactive for 24-hours straight, you'd still "burn" the amount of calories equivalent to your BMR.

Your BMR is a function of your size, sex, and age. It's also influenced by your metabolic status (hypo or hyperthyroid state for example). We can calculate BMR with the following formulas (by Harris-Benedict):

For Women

BMR = 655 + (9.6 x weight in kg) + (1.7 x height in cm) - (4.7 x age)

So for a 28 year old figure girl of 132lbs (60kg) at 5'6" (165cm) it comes up to:

BMR = 655 + (9.6 x 60kg) + (1.7 x 165cm) – (4.7 x 2

BMR = 1380 calories per day

Second Step: Factoring in activity level

The amount of calories found using the Harris-Benedict formula is what your body burns every day, even if you do nothing all day. Obviously, the more active you are the more you'll burn fuel. So, energy expenditure will be increased when your activity level goes up.

To get an adequate estimation you need to multiply your BMR by an activity level factor:

1.0 Sedentary

1.2 Very light activity

1.4 Light activity

1.6 Moderate activity

1.8 High activity

2.0 Extreme activity

By sedentary we mean doing nothing all day (sleeping and watching TV).

By very light activity we mean doing nothing physical. Working a desk job or on a computer and not performing any type of physical activity during your day.

By light activity we mean having a non-physical job (desk, computer, etc.) but performing some sort of physical activity during the day (e.g. above average walking) but no hard training.

By moderate activity we mean having a non-physical job, performing some sort of physical activity during the day, and including a daily workout session in your routine. This is where most of you are at.

By high activity we mean either training plus a physical job or non-physical job and twice-a-day training sessions.

By extreme activity we mean a very physical job and daily hard training.

So if our 220 pound bodybuilder with a BMR of 2122 calories/day is moderately active, his daily energy expenditure is bumped up to 2122 x 1.6 = 3395 calories per day. This is the amount of food to consume to maintain present body weight.

Third Step: Adjusting caloric intake to your goal
*** +500 calories for 3rd trimester

or just go with the flow hun!
Sensible healthy eating, no snacking, 5 a day 2 litres of water
It can be done without all the faff of weighing and counting cals.

a weight gain off up to 2 1/2 stones is classed as normal
If you don't take enough calories or nutrient, your body will take what IT needs first and baby second
just my opinion!
xxx

I'm sorry but I disagree with the pp, snacking is essential during pregnancy to maintain energy levels and blood sugar. Obviously you can make them healthy e.g. cereal bars, dried fruit, fruit, veg, houmous & pittas etc. instead of cakes, biscuits and so on but in pregnancy (well and when not) I think the key is either 3 meals and 3 snacks or 4-6 small meals & snacks. Also, it's a proven fact that the body takes what the baby needs first and sacrifices the mother. How else do you think the babies of anorexics and drug addicts survive? Not to mention babies in third world countries. I was always told during my pregnancy that even if you have severe morning sickness, your baby will be fine as it will leech all your bodys resources, it's you that'll feel like death!!

I didn't gain any weight until about 20weeks which is when I started bingeing on cakes and chocolate and eating constantly. I've lost all 3.5stone and more since giving birth though. During pregnancy I would eat, say, Muller light & muesli for breakfast (I don't do milk!), cereal bar mid-morning, a cup-a-soup with a wholemeal roll for lunch or a cous cous pot for example (I was working so had to be something at my desk), then a couple of ginger biscuits in the afternoon (I got afternoon nausea), a big meal for tea, like spag bol or pasta bake or something, lots of carbs, protein and veg, then some fruit (and maybe ice cream, hehe) for afters, and then just before bed I'd have a slice of wholemeal toast with spread & vegemite or peanut butter as I got the munchies about an hour after going to bed. But off the top of my head all that would still only give me 2300ish cals so I did things like adding extra cheese to my pasta bake or if I was craving choccy I'd have it, as I worked 9-5 then came out and cleaned out the pets and walked to and from work too and was just famished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->