Weighty thoughts

Nikko88

Reaction score
I've struggled with my weight all my life. Puberty combined with depression to land me squarely overweight before my 16th birthday. At my peak adult weight, I reached 207 pounds. It took 6 years to lose 60 pounds.

So when I got pregnant for the first time, I really struggled with the weight gain. I did everything in my power (within reason) to accommodate the first trimester nausea without too many excess calories. I exercised as much as I could even running until week 28 and hiking mountains right up through my due date.

I still gained 37 lbs. I was lucky enough to start out at a 'normal' BMI. So I wasn't too far off the mark. Within a month, I lost 20lbs. Within 6 months, I was withing 4 lbs of my per-pregnancy weight.

Then pump weaning and FTM-ness took it's toll and added more pounds to my total.

I started this pregnancy out at 10 lbs over weight. So I should only gain 15-25 lbs total, right? Well, I'm 12 lbs up at 14 weeks and expecting a boy who appears to be growing really well.

I'm terrified of hitting 200lbs again. I'm worried about how hard it will be to struggle back to that normal BMI with two kids. I hate when my husband or midwives try to give me advice about my weight or my eating habits, which while not perfect are carefully considered.

Another post about a woman who wasn't gaining weight despite her normal baby growth really drove home the fact that we are all different and will gain weight - or not - at the pace our body and baby dictate. Shy of gorging or starving, all we can do is listen to out body and try to make the healthiest choices we can.

As a scientist, I wondered where this normal pregnancy weight gain range I've been obsessing over comes from. In 2009, the Institute of Medicine published a brief titled 'Weight Gain During Pregnancy: Reexamining the Guidelines' with that weight gain table I see everywhere separated out by BMI categories. Never mind that BMI is a horrible way of measuring health. The findings in this brief that many midwives and doctors hold up are gospel are based on the findings of a panel that decided BMI was a better way of determine weight gain categories than the previously used Metropolitan Life Insurance tables. They also lowered the weight gain recommendations to take into account the baby's and mother's long term health.

My point? I learned wile trying to figure out how many ounces to pump for my daughter that babies aren't robots. They don't have just one ideal consumption target that remains constant. Similarly pregnant woman aren't robots. We are all unique individuals with different genetic and environmental factors affecting our lives.

I'll gain the weight I gain. I need to accept that. I'll still at well and exercise as I can, but I'm not going to mentally berate myself or let anyone else do so because I'm not conforming to a panel of experts' best guess.

This post really brightened my day. I'm week 9, and up about 7 pounds at least. I've always been so obsessive about my diet but during pregnancy I feel like I can't control my hunger. I'm eating healthy, wholesome foods, but LOTS of them. I have been anorexic and bulimic in the past, so seeing the scales go up is really hard for me. People also seem to love to point out that I'm gaining weight.

Thank you for this. It has made me feel better.

Thanks for the post!

My weight yo-yo'd during my 20's but I was never hugely overweight, after having my first DD however my weight steadily went up. I never lost the baby weight and got pregnant again when she was only 12 months old. Then I never lost the baby weight from my second DD. Last year I lost over three stone and by Christmas reached my target weight :happydance:

I'm 13 weeks and have already put on at least 8pounds. My husband keeps telling me he doesn't want me to worry about my weight but he won't accept that I'm not concerned! During the first trimester I didn't eat very well because of sickness but all the bread and comfort food has left me feeling very sluggish. Now I'm feeling less sick I need to eat more fruit and veg so I can feel better. I still fully intend to enjoy some treats though as I know I can lose it again after, even then I won't rush. I'm going with the 'nine months on- nine months off' theory!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->