Weird clicking in back/hips and sciatica

tinymumma

Mummy to a rainbow boy
Reaction score
I don't see my midwife until 16 weeks and I never went through this with my son. I've had sciatica pain every since having my son but now being pregnant again, its a lot worse. Is there anything I can do about it?
I've also noticed from time to time that while walking I get this odd clicking sensation in my lower back, where my hips are and where I feel most of my sciatica pain. I remember reading that this is one of the first signs of SPD but it seems early? Is this just joint loosening or am I being paranoid for nothing?

You should probably get in to see a physiotherapist before it gets worse. I was in great shape for my first pregnancy and worked out and did yoga snd pilates up to mnth 7 but I only did 4 months in the gym before this pregnancy and I can tell my muscles aren't holding my joint together like my first. I too have hip clicking when walking and a sore back from lifting DD. i've never had back issues! It's worth getting it checked out and then after baby is born work hard to grt your muscle tone back so that your back pain goes away. xx

I got the clicking for SPD really early as well! also noticed the start of pain when standing on one leg putting trousers on and freaked out, ill be honest i had a full melt down, it was early but i know the signs and i paniced!

It hasnt got worse however as i first though it would, its stayed the same so far which is hearing the click, feeling it when i walk to much and putting trousers on, i know the bigger the baby gets the more pressure the more its likely to get worse but so far its just warning me its getting ready!

Ive had it with both my children and after they where born it went away all by itself which was handy!

I got it really early thus time too.
I had it with my son as well.
It kicked in really early thus time.
I've had the odd flare where its pretty bad if I overdo it
But overall its stayed at dame manageable level.
I got it so early I thought id be in mega trouble by now.
Def do see physio
They hve exercises and tips and bump support that helps lots.
But tips vary a bit on your case
So better to see someone
We saw one for free,
Referred by hospital

It sounds like SI joint dysfunction, which is basically where the SI joints in the pelvis (on each side of your lower back) become wobbly or misaligned, and then inflamed in the soft tissues. It is caused by your soft tissues, ligaments, etc. relaxing in pregnant, but also can be caused by some underlying hypermobility (I have hypermobility and mine flared up in pregnancy). It can cause sciatica like pain in the lower back and hips, but doesn't usually shoot down the leg (though obviously they can both irritate each other if you already have sciatica). I found that lower back/piriformis stretching, gentle swimming and also seeing an osteopath helped mine, but yes, definitely part of SPD, though you can also have it when you aren't pregnant (I do). I would see a cranial osteopath to have it checked if you can. They are awesome and can recommend some stretches that would be pregnancy safe.

I've been having this same problem since about 14 weeks. I go to physical therapy due to a car accident I had at 11 weeks and they said they can help with the hip pain too but I've yet to feel any relief so no advice unfortunately lol

I have sciatica myself, long before I ever got pregnant. The main things that have helped me is to keep moving, stretch regularly, and over-the-counter pain meds. I'm concerned I'll get triggered while pregnant, as of course the one thing that works reliably is ibuprofen, and I can't take that right now.

Speaking to a doctor and a physiotherapist will likely help you come up with both the specific cause of your pain (joint or muscular?) and a treatment plan that works for you. I won't be surprised if I end up needing to find one myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->