Weird ?...do dogs know you're pregnant?

mod19

Reaction score
And the only reason I ask is because my dog won't leave my side. It started like a week ago. Usually he'll come lay in bed with me, but leaves when you kick him out of his spot or dh comes to bed...he won't leave! I tried kicking him off last night and he was persistent! After dh gets out of bed he comes and lays back next to me. Strange behavior for him.

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure one of my dogs knew before I did. I definitely think they know—or at least the sensitive ones do.

I mean I'm pretty sure he doesn't know I'll be bringing a pooping screaming sleeping baby home in 7 months, but I think he knows something

My dog did this when I was pregnant with DD. He was always more my husband's dog but when I was about 5 weeks along, he would always choose to sit with me and he would come in the bathroom with me when I was sick. I definitely think they have a sense about these things! Very, very sadly, we lost our dog when I was 9 weeks. :(

That's horrible I'm sorry :( I've had my dog since he was 6 weeks old and now he's 7, so he's been by my side for a while now. Dh has already said he's dreading the day he passes cuz he knows I'm going to be a wreck.

I have two chihuahuas. The 7month old one lays on my lower tummy. And the 2yr old lays on the side of my tummy. :)

I think my boy knew/knows. He's a 1.6 month old boxer who we've had since he was 8 weeks old. He's not allowed fully on the bed, just his front legs and upper body. He usually lingers like that for a few moment before he curls up in his bed, a few feet away. Suddenly he was lingering for hours sometimes, asleep on my belly. He doesn't jump on me anymore. He follows me everywhere and when I'm in the bathroom sick I open the door and he's siting there.

I think, he knows something is up.

I think my boy knew/knows. He's a 1.6 month old boxer who we've had since he was 8 weeks old. He's not allowed fully on the bed, just his front legs and upper body. He usually lingers like that for a few moment before he curls up in his bed, a few feet away. Suddenly he was lingering for hours sometimes, asleep on my belly. He doesn't jump on me anymore. He follows me everywhere and when I'm in the bathroom sick I open the door and he's siting there.

I think, he knows something is up.

Isn't it kinda cool? Hes been my baby this whole time and now he knows something's up. Doesn't even want dh dog near me lol

P.s I meant a 1.6 year old boxer lol..... Not 1.6 months lol

It is SO cool! :)

dogs can smell the changes in our hormones, their sense of smell is 20000 ours and it has been scientifically proven dogs are even able to detect cancer tissues in people, as the proteins expressed in cancer cells are different to normal ones and they smell different...

...so they can for sure smell the pregnancy changes in you and well... they are led by instincts so i think while they can't rationally conclude that there is a baby, the awareness of it is clear to them, like if another dog were pregnant!

Our Great Pyrenees was really into sniffing me right before AF was due (I took a test 5 days later). Since then, he's also taken to sleeping in the hallway in front of the bedrooms. I don't know if that means anything, but pretty sure he knows something was up with the initial sniffing.

I don't think my dogs have noticed. Oblivious little pests ;) The little one still tries to jump all over me...

I don't doubt that dogs can sense pregnancy, though. DH walks a german shepherd, and he's usually very jumpy and wild. I've joined him for walks a few times since getting pregnant, and he's been very careful around me, hasn't tried to jump on me at all, and when I sneezed on our walk yesterday, he ran up to me to make sure I was ok. I guess he's smarter than my dogs :D

Yes! My dog doesn't even like me, but when I was pregnant I think he knew before me as he went very protective over me and spent the whole pregnancy being very clingy to me and used to lie against the bump. As soon as I came home after giving birth, he was never interested in me again!

Hope this is true, we aren't trying but we took a little "risk" this month and the past couple of night my dog has been putting her paw gently on my tummy, she never does that, hopefully my dog is psychic!

I can definitely see a change in our older dog.He adores my partner,I am the one who walks him, feeds him etc but im usually just 'the others'.but hes so clingy and I noticed he stares at me a lot and comes for cuddles, hes not very cuddly, he gives these funny horse like cuddles with his head.he is also more obedient and gentle.hes got very human eyes and I think when im having bad symptoms day I can see him looking at me thinking:whats going on with you mummy. . .

I can definitely see a change in our older dog.He adores my partner,I am the one who walks him, feeds him etc but im usually just 'the others'.but hes so clingy and I noticed he stares at me a lot and comes for cuddles, hes not very cuddly, he gives these funny horse like cuddles with his head.he is also more obedient and gentle.hes got very human eyes and I think when im having bad symptoms day I can see him looking at me thinking:whats going on with you mummy. . .

Let me put it to you this way, I'm a cat lover and my sister loves dogs. She has this Chihuhua (rat dog I call him, haha) and he knows I don't care for him. We sort of have a love & hate relationship. For the last few years every time I see the dog I will pet it once in a while, but I'm not his favorite person.

Two weeks ago I went to visit my sisters place for the first time since becoming pregnant and her rat dog immediately came over to me and sat on my lap and wouldn't move until he had no choice otherwise I would pee my pants. I used the bathroom sat down on her couch and he came back.

My cat was super clingy with me when I was pregnant with my son 2.5 years ago--annoyingly clingy.

Flash forward to this pregnancy and coincidentally he rekindled his extra neediness for my lap again. In my experience THEY KNOW.:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->