weird situation , cousins wife. full term hospital stopping short staffed

zorak

Reaction score
Hi.

This post concerns the UK/NHS. My cousins wife is 40+3 and was due to be induced today (I'm not sure why so early).

I got a call from my Mum who was really upset/angry because apparently L's water had broken naturally on Friday morning but upon getting to hospital she said L was told they were extremely short staffed therefore it'd be dangerous for them to allow her labor to progress so they confined her to a bed and gave her something to prevent/stop contractions. This makes no sense to me as surely it's a dangerous course of action? My Mum was also mad because my cousin wasn't allowed to stay with his wife on the maternity ward which I thought was standard practice .

I challenged my Mum and said if it was me I'd have just left and returned when in active labor but my Mum kept saying you shouldn't ignore the doctors.

What do you think? I think there is some exaggeration going on.

On my phone sorry for typos.

That is dangerous at that gestation when the waters have gone. I would be seeking advice from another hospital asap

Hmm that doesn't sound good. I think they do limit visors unless you're in active labour, my DH wasn't allowed back on the maternity ward with me straight after I had my DD, he had to come back at visiting times. I agree, I think I would have discharged myself and tried to come back once active labour had started although obviously I don't know all the details of her story or whether there is a reason why she might need to stay at hospital.

It's dangerous to leave waters broken for that long! I would be so angry and be asking to move hospitals and then I would make a written complaint. So not acceptable x

If waters have broken they usually induce within 24-48hours if you don't go into labour due to risk of infection. At my hospital its 24hours. They sounds very wrong I would refuse meds to stop contractions and go to a different hospital that's terrible x

I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds this crazy. I'm trying to figure out if my Mum has misheard something. I just don't see any hospital no matter how busy they are taking a risk like that. Surely it'd just lead to more interventions, meaning more staff being needed to monitor the situation.

If shes 41 weeks and in labor they would`nt give her anything to stop it... under staffed or not..

so that sounds like a miss hearing or exageration..

but the no visitors thing is true hubby can stay with me whilst I am on delivery but the moment I get moved to the ward Husband can only be with me between 12 and 8 :/

She may well have misheard.

What does make sense is that her water broke and they were too short staffed to start induction so admitted her to the ward and probably gave her antibiotics. If she is on the maternity ward (and not delivery) they would have visiting hours (although usually allowed 8-8).

Anything else is wrong!

Slightly off topic but visiting hours for dads??? Great way to start a co parenting precedent!! Dads at my hospital are allowed in any time although obviously they wouldn't get a bed!

In fact I've just checked and for partners and children it's 9am-10pm officially but if you'd just given birth I know there's flexible!! Queens hospital burton on Trent. Amazing place.
image.jpg

I've seen it in obem before where they had no staff free so it wasn't safe to let women come in, but they just went to another hospital instead?! Not right to leave her if her waters have broken...

Yup my Mum misheard. She was given fluids and asked to stay on the bed . They didn't want to actively induce until more staff were available.

She's since had a healthy baby boy :)

I'm moving back to the UK soon from the US and my Mum is really trying to convince me to stay here to have this baby. I keep explaining their are bad things about the US system too but well, she's a Daily Mail reader!

Need to move back anyway for my husband's new job.

Glad it all worked out well. I had very positive experiences with the nhs.

From all the things I've read here I'd much rather give birth in the UK xx

Lovely update :)
I agree, I think our maternity care in the UK is generally very good, and that's been my experience so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->